Q. Why do I have excess mucus in throat?

Dr. Prasun Mishra

I am a 49 year old male. I have a constant problem of excess mucus in throat. I feel as my food pipe is inflamed. I cannot eat anything. Whenever I eat something this mucus problem gets aggravated. What disease is this? And how to get it treated? Thank you.

#

I am trying to understand your problem with the limited symptoms you have provided.

Excess mucus in throat can be due to constant irritation in oral pharynx or mucus of nose coming in throat called as post-nasal drip.

Now a days laryngopharyngeal reflux disease (LPRD) is a condition where there is feeling of lump or mucus in throat and the main cause is little acid reflux from stomach.

If you do not have any pain on swallowing, any nose block or sinus infection there is high chance that you have LPRD.

I would suggest you start on tablet Esomeprazole 20 mg twice a day for 15 days.

Meanwhile get CT scan of nose to rule out sinusitis.

Revert back after 15 days to an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|