Q. I have had a sore throat for 8 days. I am worried if it could be some other major disease. Please help.

Dr. Jagdish Chaturvedi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 26, 2014 and last reviewed on: Dec 14, 2018

I have had a sore throat for eight days. I have tried over the counter throat drops, throat sprays but nothing has worked. Is there anything else I can do and is it just a sore throat?

#

Most of the times, a sore throat is due to a viral infection.

This occurs with or without some amount of acid reflux into the throat from within the food pipe. This condition is called Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease (LPRD) and this may present simply with a sore throat and without any other symptoms of gastritis.

I would, therefore, recommend antiseptic mouth gargles with Chlorhexidine or dilute Betadine, three times a day before and after meals along with a good proton pump inhibitor such as tablet Esomeprazole 40 mg once in the morning 15 minutes before meals for one week.

I would also advise taking an anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen or Paracetamol once daily for three days after breakfast, to reduce the throat pain.

In my opinion, your sore throat should subside in three to five days.

If it worsens or you develop fever, then an antibiotic may be necessary for which you can consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|