Q. Can I get LASIK surgery done while on acne treatment?

Dr. Shikha
Published on Sep 30, 2016

I have scheduled for LASIK eye surgery this week. I am currently using Acticlate tablets, Onexton and Epiduo (topical gel) for acne, which was prescribed by my dermatologist. Will there be any issues or side effects with LASIK surgery? I checked with my eye doctor and he said no problems or interactions. When I checked on the internet, I got to know that some issue may occur if the person use Accutane for acne. But, I want to confirm whether it is fine to get LASIK eye surgery while taking treatment for acne. Also, I will not use them on surgery day. Please advise.

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• You can use all of them. Usually, the side effect of these drugs includes a slight increase in risk of dryness of the eyes. Along with LASIK, there is slightly more increased risk.
  • As you have informed your doctor, I think that it will be taken care of postoperatively using lubricant eye drops.
  • So, you need not worry and you can continue to use all these drugs.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I do not have any dryness or side effects as of now after using them for two months. My skin is improving and the acne is clearing as well. I am fine if there are eye drops to heal and relieve dryness. Hope it does not cause any issue that cannot get fixed. Thanks again.

Dr. Shikha

#

• No, acne is a very common problem.
  • People having acne have increased tendency of dryness due to tear film instability that tendency is further increased by using these medications. The tendency is more if there is accompanying systemic disorder.
  • It seems you do not have any systemic disorder. You can go for the surgery without any tension.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full »

I have dry eyes and feel heaviness and pain. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old female going through dry eyes for the past 45 days. I have been to three different doctors but no relief. I feel heaviness in the eyes along with pain and redness. I have been given a gel and a tube (Systane eye drop and Ara gel). Please help.  Read Full »