Q. How to check if I am allergic to latex?

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I had oral sex with a condom. I got a white dot on the top of the roof as well a lesion in the mouth. I have attached the picture. I believe I am allergic to latex. Is this an allergic reaction? Or what can it be? What can I do to make this go away? It has been like this for two days.

#

I have seen the picture you have attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Here is how to check if you are allergic to latex.

• If you think oral sex had lead to such an allergic reaction, then it should be present in one to two days from the contact of latex. If you had found that these red spots arose after five days, then there are possibilities to rule out allergies.
  • Also, if you are allergic and had used latex condoms for safe sex, then you would have got itching and irritation of the vaginal skin as well within the same time frame.
  • Moreover, these allergic reactions are similar to food allergies. Once you stop the contact with them, you do not get the allergy.
  • Latex allergy seems to have an overlap with the allergy to kiwi, avocado and banana. Because it is the same component that brings the reaction in both the latex condoms and these foods. If you are allergic to this food, then there is a suspicion again.
  • To avoid these, use non-latex condoms available in the stores. That will be the polyurethane ones.
  • Also, a blood check is required to confirm the allergic reactions. Once it is done, then I suggest application of Hydrocortisone cream on the oral red spots and down there to get rid of them. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|