Q. My left eye is lazy eye with a power of -2. 50 D. Will it recover to normal on using spectacles?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

I am a teenager. My left eye has got a power of -2.50 D and I am near-sighted. Will my lazy eye recover to normal vision by using spectacles? How long does it take?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

As you have told that you have -2.5 D in the left eye but you have not mentioned refraction of the right eye. Please tell me your exact age? From how long you are using glasses? Do you patch your normal eye or have you done patching previously? Please explain the refraction of both eyes and your corrected vision with these glasses? Is there any deviation of eyes (crossed eyes or squint eyes)?

What I understand from this that your right eye is 6/6 and the left eye is lazy eye due to myopia (minus glasses).

So actually lazy eye is when one eye can see a clear image and the second eye cannot see clearly due to refractive error and the vision remains blurry in that eye. So vision will not develop properly if glasses are not used at an early age. The connection between the eyes and brain develop in 8-11 years of age and that is the sensitive period.

The most common cause of lazy eye is the difference of refractive error between two eyes (Anisometropic amblyopia), the difference of more than one diopter can cause lazy eye (amblyopia).

So the most sensitive period is 8-11 years, but in a few paper they say lazy can be improved in teens by full correction with glasses and patching of the normal eye (results are not unpredicted). So you can try full correction glasses and at day time while you are awake patch your right eye for two to six hours and use your left eye so that vision could develop in that.

The success rate is less if the patching started at a late age, and amblyopia is severe. One more thing do not patch your right eye all the time because there could be reverse amblyopia due to lack of use of right eye.

Studies have shown that patching for two hours and six hours have almost equal results. So patch your good eye while reading or doing some work. Consult your eye doctor for repeat refraction every three to six months. If patching does not improve the vision after six months, there are a fewer chances of further improvement.

| 

Can you tell me if a unilateral posterior polar cataract has congenital onset?

Query: Hi doctor, Can you please tell me if a unilateral posterior polar cataract has a congenital onset or develops after birth? I am desperately seeking answers as my daughter who is 5 years old has been diagnosed for the first time with a congenital polar cataract. The doctor who originally diagnosed h...  Read Full »

18-weeks-old baby diagnosed with congenital glaucoma and aniridia. Kindly help.

Query: Hi doctor,My 18 weeks old second daughter was diagnosed to have congenital glaucoma with aniridia and corneal opacities bilaterally at birth for which she underwent bilateral trabeculectomy within 15 days of birth. She achieved peripheral clearance of cornea in both the eyes within few days of surge...  Read Full »

What the Numbers on Your Spectacle Prescription Indicate

Article Overview: The recent trend of an increase in near-vision work, be it on the Android phone, laptops or on paper has caused us to see the number of myopic patients go upward. This shocking trend can be seen by as much as 50 % of the students in higher primary to pre-university being prescribed glasses for low to moderate myopia.  Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

This article has been written with an aim to shed light on the various measurements and their meanings in practical terms to the average spectacle wearer, so that the next time s/he is in an optical shop, they will have some knowledge and a basic understanding of their condition. The very essential...  Read Article