Q. Can a keto diet help in left atrial enlargement and reduce the risk of a heart attack?

Dr. Prashant Valecha

I visited my cardiologist five days ago, and I was diagnosed with an enlarged left atrium. The doctor said it was due to high blood pressure, low potassium, and sleep apnea. I was prescribed Diltiazem, Potassium, and Magnesium along with lifestyle changes. On that same day, I decided to switch on the keto diet by eating vegetables alone and avoiding carbohydrates and sugar from my diet. Since then, I have had a fast heart rate. I am very scared that my condition can worsen and may induce a heart attack or a stroke.

Thanks.

#

I hope you are doing good.

I read your complaints and reviewed your echocardiogram report (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Enlarged left atrium (LA) can cause arrhythmias which gives you the feel of palpitations. The cause of LA enlargement could be hypertension. An ECG (electrocardiogram) or holter monitoring is to be done to determine the type of arrhythmia. You will not get a heart attack due to LA enlargement.

I suggest you continue taking Diltiazem and do the investigations mentioned above to start the appropriate treatment.

Take care.

Thank you for the reply.

I had a holter monitor and an ECG. My cardiologist did not say the exact type of my palpitations, but she said that they are skipped beats.

Thanks.

#

Your clinical report that you have attached also mentioned atrial ectopics. These ectopics or skipped beats are nothing of concern. Kindly continue taking Diltiazem.

Take care.

|