Q. My 9 months old son has a slight increase in trabeculations of left ventricle. Is it worrying?

Published on Nov 09, 2019

My son is 9 months old and we visited a cardiologist a week ago. He does not have any symptoms and is a healthy child. All the dimensions were within range and ejection and fraction were 70 and 40. What they did find was a slight increase in trabeculations of the left ventricle.

I have read, a slight increase in trabeculations in a healthy adult is not a worrying find, but I do not find anything about the children.

Is this worrying? And does it really want a follow-up?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Trabeculations are a normal findings in the left ventricle in both the adults and children. When these become excessive along with an increase in LV thickness, then it is considered abnormal.

Now this slightly increased trabeculations is entirely a subjective finding. One may interpret as increased, while the other may think these as normal. So, considering the normal ejection fraction of 70 percent and other normal dimensions, this may be a normal finding. However, since there is some doubt created now, it is better to repeat an echo after a year or two or if any symptoms appear. So, it is probably a normal finding, however, better to follow it up for confirmation.

I forgot to mention that there is no family history of heart disease.

Is this a common finding in children? How rare it is?

Could you estimate the risk that he ends up having an illness? 1/5? 1/10? 1/100?

Should I be worried about my child?

#

So, negative family history is against the possibility of disease.

Now, there are certain criteria to diagnose to LV (left ventricle) noncompaction. And he does not satisfy any of those criteria like the trabeculated portion should be twice the normal LV thickness etc.

So, with this limited echo information, it is difficult to estimate the risk at present, but probably less than one percent. I do not think, there is anything to worry about it at present but you should keep a watch.