Q. Can LVH be reversed?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2020

Hi, This is regarding my husband who is 35 years of age. Four years back, after a nasal septoplasty surgery, the doctors realized that his blood pressure was very high. After doing all the tests he was diagnosed with moderate concentric LVH. My husband who is 5 feet and 6 inches was 98 kgs then. He was put on hypertension medicines and was on diet and exercise and he visits his cardiologist every 3 months. He has now reduced his weight to 79 kgs.

In the ECG report taken last year, the diagnosis is Sinus Arrhythmia, Prolonged P-wave and complete Right Bundle Branch Block. The Echo report at the same time says concentric LVH, No RWM. Normal Valves, Normal LV systolic function (62%). Doctor had advised him to continue with his medicines, diet and exercise.

What do you make of the ECG and Echo test? Is it fine to continue with the hypertension medicines, diet and exercise. His blood pressure is under control now. Could the LVH be reversed?

#

Hello, I have gone through his reports. So he has hypertension and he needs to be on medication for long term. However in future with weight loss and healthy lifestyle like avoiding fatty oily and high calorie food, plenty of green vegetables and fruits etc. his requirement for antihypertensive may go down. So his future BP readings would guide regarding that, but as of now he should be on regular BP medications with regular BP monitoring. Best BP readings would be 110 to 130 systolic and less than 90 diastolic. Now regarding Ecg and echo, firstly they are all hypertensive changes and not worrisome. Concentric LVH would be there even if BP is under control and it's not going to cause any problems. ECG doesn't show complete RBBB, however there are early RBBB changes which are again likely related to hypertension and not worrisome. Sinus arrhythmia is normal finding and nothing to worry to about prolonged P wave. So there are changes which are not very significant and alarming. So in a nutshell, he should focus on BP control, healthy lifestyle, get his lipid profile tested and he should be subjected to treadmill test after age of 40 years. Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

|