Q. I have leg pain which moves around. Is it osteoarthritis?

Published on Aug 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2019

I have pain in my left leg which moves around. First in my knee, then in the lower leg, upper leg, etc. I previously had pain in my left arm. An urgent care doctor told me it was osteoarthritis. An X-ray of my knee was done. I was prescribed an anti-inflammation medication.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Osteoarthritis is a possibility. However, it is associated with pain and swelling of the knee joint and pain is predominantly while walking, especially going upstairs.

NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) may help. However, physiotherapy and weight reduction are important.

It would have been better if you had uploaded a snapshot of the X-ray.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

I have severe leg pain from the last six months. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, Since the last six months, I suddenly developed severe pain in both the legs. It arises from the thigh, goes to the calf, and finally reaches the heel. I am unable to go up the stairs or use the Indian style toilets.  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, I feel that you have patellofemoral compression pain, which gets worse on going up and down stairs. After a period of rest, you may feel severe pain in the the knees, but as you walk the pain will ease. I suggest the following: Take Voveran SR (D...  Read Full

Is my mother's leg pain sciatica or something else?

Query: Hello doctor, My 49 year old mother has a severe (sciatica-like) leg pain. There is also pain below the knee and at the back of the leg. The pain is an extreme burning sensation kind of pain. It sometimes moves to the hips. The pain increases when she sits or tries to walk. She is taking a pain ki...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. A sciatica-like pain can respond to physiotherapy and rehabilitative exercises. I suggest she try tablet Lyrica (Pregabalin) 75 mg at night. It is a little expensive one, but a good medicine. The other option is to take tablet Pregaba-M (a combination of Pregabalin and...  Read Full

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your X-rays are normal for age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What you describe is patellofemoral compression syndrome and weight gain, wrong exercises, jogging on an incline, poor shoe wear, open chain exercise like squats, knee rolls have a role ...  Read Full

Ask a Rheumatologist Now