Osteoarthritis

Are muscular and joint pain with negative CCP and CRP symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am asking a question on behalf of my mother who is currently under investigation for rheumatoid arthritis. Her main symptoms are joint and muscular pain that is consistent throughout the day, swollen joints, and some visible nodules on her fingers. Some blood work has been performe...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems she has more of osteoarthritis than rheumatoid arthritis. The nodules you have marked in the photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are Heberden's nodes and are classical of osteoarthritis. Involvement of distal interpharyngeal joint of han...  Read Full »

Can you please suggest medicines and exercises for joint pain?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother went through a hysterectomy surgery few months ago.Now she is having tremendous pain in her joints.She can’t sit without taking support.She feels more pain in her knee, ankle, finger-joints.What should we do sir/mam? Can you prescribe medicine and few exercises that ca...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi! Thank you for reaching out I'm sorry she's having these symptoms. There are many causes of joint pain such as osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis. I would recommend that she undergo X-ray of both knees and hands and check her ESR, CRP, Anti-CCP, SGPT/SGOT, BUN, Crea and RF as w...  Read Full »

Can Achilles' tendon weakness make a person fall often?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a question for my mother. My mother is 50 years old. She complains of episodic, sudden loss of weight bearing ability on the left Achilles tendon. This has resulted in two major falls, which resulted in trauma. These are present for past few months and have become more frequent in...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your mother's elaborative history provided here, along with the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with this query. She has mild osteoarthritic changes in the lumbosacral region with osteoarthritis knee, anemia, peria...  Read Full »

How to confirm erosive osteoarthritis in hands?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both hands. One doctor suggested erosions in the left hand while another read that the right hand did not see evidence of that. I was wondering what your opinion is, do you agree with osteoarthritis diagnosis and if so is there evidence of ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ismail Kabakus

Radiologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Osteoarthritis is not an autoimmune disorder, so autoimmune markers are expected to be negative. In an osteoarthritic joint, as cartilage is irreversibly destroyed and bone abnormalities develop, movement becomes painful and more difficult. In my opinion, regarding lef...  Read Full »

Can a childhood shoulder fracture cause pain after growing up?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from pain in my right shoulder, hip, knee, foot and lower back. I have a bunion on my right foot. I sometimes feel that my hip is not in place and if moved wrong it will result in knee pain. I broke my collar bone as a child and I am not sure if that would be causing any sh...  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The cause of your pain could be arthritis, low calcium levels and stress. But, looking at your symptoms it is most probably due to osteoarthritis. Clavicle or collar bone fracture does not present with such symptoms so late. I would suggest you to consult an orthopedician...  Read Full »

Why do I have trigger problems in the middle finger of both hands?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having trigger problem in the middle finger of my left hand over a year. But, the same finger of my right hand has now developed the same problem. They are especially bad in the morning and it is difficult to straighten them. I can feel a very heavy click when I do it. I had blood te...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important information to know would be x-ray of your hands. There are different types of arthritis like autoimmune, osteoarthritis and gout. It could also become worse with your new medications as they can cause bone loss and pain. It may also occur if you have a...  Read Full »

Is pain and swelling common after arthroscopic surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I did hurt my ankle 2 years ago then went for an MRI 11 months back. The following month I had an arthroscopic surgery (OCD MTD). Now, even after nine months it still swells up, painful and I do not have full range of motion. It hurts a lot when I run or jump. I have been doing physio...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your query and the MRI reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You had an osteochondritic lesion of talus (OLT) reputed last year, the fresh MRI shows that the repair done is perfectly fine with no signs of osteoarthritis of ...  Read Full »

What causes neck and shoulder stiffness while lying?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old female. I do not have any medical issues that could associate with my problem. About a month ago I woke up to pain and stiffness in my neck and shoulders. I figured I just slept wrong or something little like that. But every single night since then, I have been woke...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Criticalcare Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms you have explained points towards arthritis. It can be osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis depending on the joints involved and the duration of morning stiffness. Usually, in rheumatoid arthritis, morning stiffness remains for more than 45 minutes and...  Read Full »

Is there a therapy for painful swollen joints?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 45 years old female. Her weight is usually between 35 kg to 42 kg. She is suffering from severe pain and swollen joints for the past 15 years. Due to lack of financial resource we were unable to get treatment. Is there any therapy to heal her? She is unable to fully move her ...  Read Full »

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Pain Medicine Physician, Pulmonologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all a proper diagnosis has to be made for the cause of her swollen joints. It could be due to osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) or gout. Once correct diagnosis is made then the treatment can be initiated. So, I need to know whether any tests has been done...  Read Full »

Why am I having joint pain with stiffness?

Query: Hello doctor, My height is 169 cm and weight is 95 kg. I am 50 years old, male. For the past three months, I am experiencing stiff fingers joint and pain in the outer ridge of the foot in the morning when I get up. Fingers become fine after some time but pain stays in the foot. This is coming on an...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well for fingers, it could be osteoarthritis because at your age this is something which is most common and it also has morning stiffness. In your foot, it is plantar fascitis. So for treatment, you have to do finger gripping exercises. For that, you can buy a smiley ba...  Read Full »