Osteoarthritis

Can you please suggest medicines and exercises for joint pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother underwent a hysterectomy surgery before few months. Now she is having tremendous pain in her joints. She is unable to walk without proper support. She has more pain in her knee, ankle, and finger joints. What can I do? Please suggest medicine and exercise for having relief from...  Read Full »

Dr. Peter Grutas

Internal Medicine Physician, General Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are many causes for having joint pain. The causes are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I suggest you take X-rays of her both knees and hands. She needs to do ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), anti-CCP (anti-citrullinated pepti...  Read Full »

Is psoriatic arthritis considered a disability?

Query: Hello doctor, I told my dermatologist I probably have psoriatic arthritis. I have knee pain that I take Advil to get through the day at work. I was also told to get on Cosentyx, but it is too expensive for me. What other options do I have?  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, it is a possibility that your knee is getting affected by psoriatic arthritis, but we should also rule out underlying osteoarthritis priorly, for which an x-ray would be sufficient (if they have done it, you can attach the reports). Secondly, I would like to kn...  Read Full »

What are the complications of loose ligamental joints from childhood?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 23 years old, and my height is 5'11". Please look at my legs. I can walk, run and sit. I have loose ligamental joints (collateral ligaments) from childhood, and I have small patella. What is the problem of having loose ligamental joints in future? Is there any problem with small pat...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and the images provided here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). From images, it appears that you have genu valgum deformity in your left knee. There is no supportive evidence or examination notes stating about small patel...  Read Full »

Do X-rays help in differentiating rheumatoid arthritis from osteoarthritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having joint pain in my left foot on the first joint of big toe for two weeks. It came on upon waking. The pain was inconvenient, but bearable for the first 36 hours. Then, it was extremely painful on the second day ( a worse pain I have ever had). Then, it has got slightly be...  Read Full »

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a strong possibility that this is gout. Considering that it occurred relatively acute, it is possible that it is gout. The diagnosis of gout is by crystal examination in joint fluid and on clinical examination of joints. Of course, osteoarthritis is one of the le...  Read Full »

What should I do to help my joint pain and cervical spondylosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 57 years old. My weight is 67 kg, and my height is 5 feet. I am suffering from joint pain, mainly cervical spondylosis, knee pain, pain in the feet and hands. I have severe inflammation in my feet, and stiffness in the knee. I am also suffering from severe constipation. Please he...  Read Full »

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What you do, and how much physical activity you have in your daily routine?  Read Full »

What is the reason for the pain at the bottom side of the back in a geriatric patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother, who is 84 years old, was admitted to the hospital for six days (discharge summary attached). In an intervening period of two days, she was admitted to another hospital (discharge card attached) for dialysis and brought back to the same hospital. She was shifted from the previo...  Read Full »

Dr. Lalit Bansal

General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen all reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and discharge summary. She is a known CKD (Chronic kidney disease) with diabetes, hypertension, and bedsores. As per investigation and report, blood pressure and diabetes are under control now...  Read Full »

Will glucosamine taken for osteoarthritis interact with Clopidogrel?

Query: Hello doctor, I have osteoarthritis of shoulders. Which glucosamine products do not interact with Clopidogrel? What medication or supplement can I take?  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am assuming, based on the drugs, you are in your middle ages. Without knowing your medical condition and why are you on Clopidogrel, I am assuming that you may have a cardiac condition that needs anti-platelet medicines. Also, arthritis of the shoulder is rather ...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for an 81-year-old woman?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 81 years old. She had undergone one left shoulder surgery due to a fracture in the neck of the humerus four years ago. She also had experienced a cerebral stroke resulting partial paralysis of the left hand and the left leg. Now, due to a sudden fall on the ground, she also ...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history as well as the images attached to it (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has fractured her right humerus and she also has osteoarthritis in right shoulder and osteoporosis. She had a cerebrovascular accident ca...  Read Full »

Are muscular and joint pain with negative CCP and CRP symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am asking a question on behalf of my mother who is currently under investigation for rheumatoid arthritis. Her main symptoms are joint and muscular pain that is consistent throughout the day, swollen joints, and some visible nodules on her fingers. Some blood work has been performe...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems she has more of osteoarthritis than rheumatoid arthritis. The nodules you have marked in the photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are Heberden's nodes and are classical of osteoarthritis. Involvement of distal interpharyngeal joint of han...  Read Full »

What causes pain and twinges in the groin area during certain movements?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had pain in my lower stomach just above my crotch area for about seven weeks now. When I first went to my doctor with the complaint, he said I could have pulled a muscle. I have made an appointment to go back again, which he told me to do and he advised me to bring a urine sample. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I feel really sorry for the pain and twinges you feel on certain positions and movements. It really is bothersome and needs attention and care. Your symptoms typically seem to be due to osteoarthritis of the hip joint and that is a medical condition of the hip joint due t...  Read Full »