Q. What would be the reason for development of large number of moles?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

My wife is 25 years old. She has been developing lot of moles on her body especially on hands and face. Initially they are very light almost like a small brown spot, but gradually they are becoming darker. They are incrementing periodically. What would be the reason for it? Is there any medication for it to stop and eradicate the issue? Thank you.

#

As you explained the disease that your wife has multiple small moles over face and hands, it certainly indicates solar lentigines. It is a multiple freckles type mole due to sun exposure. Now, let me explain the treatment and precautions.

Avoid exposure to sunlight as much as you can. Cover body with clothes and cap while going out. Use sunscreen over face and hand every four hourly till evening. This will prevent further development of disease.

Now to treat existing lentigines we can opt for laser. Creams will not be of much helpful in this. Q-switched Nd:YAG laser (neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet) will be very useful.

You can consult a doctor around you for this laser. One or two sitting would be enough to remove it completely. There is no side effect. It could be costlier, but results are good.

|