Q. What would be the reason for development of large number of moles?

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on Jun 12, 2019

My wife is 25 years old. She has been developing lot of moles on her body especially on hands and face. Initially they are very light almost like a small brown spot, but gradually they are becoming darker. They are incrementing periodically. What would be the reason for it? Is there any medication for it to stop and eradicate the issue? Thank you.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

As you explained the disease that your wife has multiple small moles over face and hands, it certainly indicates solar lentigines. It is a multiple freckles type mole due to sun exposure. Now, let me explain the treatment and precautions.

Avoid exposure to sunlight as much as you can. Cover body with clothes and cap while going out. Use sunscreen over face and hand every four hourly till evening. This will prevent further development of disease.

Now to treat existing lentigines we can opt for laser. Creams will not be of much helpful in this. Q-switched Nd:YAG laser (neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet) will be very useful.

You can consult a doctor around you for this laser. One or two sitting would be enough to remove it completely. There is no side effect. It could be costlier, but results are good.

I need your suggestions on which sunscreen to use.

Query: Hi doctor, I am in a little trouble. Summer has started where I live, and I am addicted to playing cricket, whatever the weather or climate be. From last two weeks, I have noticed that my face color has become darker due to the sun. So, I am a little confused about which sunblock cream to use. I ne...  Read Full >>

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sun protection factor or SPF blocks damaging UV rays, which are responsible for skin aging, darkening, sunburn, and malignancy. I would advise you to use sunscreens that are a multi-spectrum or broad spectrum, which blocks both UV-A and UV-B rays. Select Sunscreen acc...  Read Full

How to Select a Sunscreen?

Article Overview: The most common questions in dermatological practice are which sunscreen to use and while going out in the sun what are the sun protection measures. The answers are here in this article. Read Article

Ultraviolet radiation like UVA and UVB has been well documented to have multiple effects on human skin. It not only causes skin cancer, but also cutaneous aging like seborrheic keratosis, photomelanosis (pigmentation on sun exposed parts), wrinkles, polymorphous light eruption, melasma, freckles, le...  Read Article

How to improve skin tone and get glowing skin?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 24 years old. I have an uneven skin tone on my face. Please advise for an even skin tone and glowing skin.  Read Full >>

Dr. Meha Malhotra

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com Uneven skin tone is caused mainly by: Frequent sun exposure. Hormonal imbalances. To prevent and reverse dullness of skin and to improve your skin tone: Drink plenty of water (minimum of eight glasses a day). Avoid oily foods. Consume a lot of fruits and gr...  Read Full