Q. My hair parting has become wider. Why?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

I am only 26 years old and I notice my middle part wider then before. Should I be concerned? What can I do to fix it? I have very thin hair.

#

I went through your history and photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity), this widening of mid partition occurs in female pattern hair loss (FPHL).

FPHL is a kind of alopecia of women in which gradual hair thinning and widening of mid partition line occurs. Genetic and hormonal components are underlying factors causing FPHL. As FPHL is a progressive condition and without medicine gradual hair thinning continues. So we need to start you on treatment for this for long term.

Now good hair multivitamins and Minoxidil need to be started for FPHL. But if you have active hair loss that means if you have severe hair shedding the first we need to control the active shedding, then we will start Minoxidil.

If you do not have active hair fall, then take good hair multivitamins one tablet daily for two months. Minoxidil 5% apply 1 ml of lotion daily at night on scalp mainly front and top area of scalp not on back of scalp. Do not lie down for 30 minutes after applying lotion to provide the spread of lotion on face.

If you have active shedding, then please revert back as I need to suggest different lotion then to control hair fall.

|