Q. I have developed a small white dot. Is this a sign of leucoderma?

Dr. Anshuman Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

I have developed a small white dot on my thigh a few months back. Now, the size has increased. Is this any sign of leucoderma?

#

Has this hypopigmented patch occurred after any injury or scab formation (attachment removed to protect patient identity)? If not, then it can be a sign of vitiligo or leucoderma. But, it cannot be confirmed at this stage.

Does anyone in your family have such illness? If yes, then it points towards vitiligo.

Do not worry as vitiligo can be treated with medicines. Also, search for other patches in the scalp and show to a dermatologist for treatment.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

I have consulted a dermatologist. She told me that this is the earliest symptom of vitiligo. But, my family does not have a history of that autoimmune disease. She has given me Tacrolimus 0.1% at night, Fluticasone propionate during daytime and Beplex forte tablet for six weeks. She told spreading can be arrested within six weeks. I am worried. I have only one spot in the thigh and not in other areas. If I control the spreading of this white spot, is there any chance to get other spots on any other part of my body? Please advise me regarding this. Should I take any precautions to prevent this? Please help me out.

#

• Your dermatologist has advised you the correct treatment. Apply the ointment and follow other advice.
  • Yes, when medicine is started, then the chances of new skin lesions are very less.
  • There are no precautions as such. Do not worry, everything will be fine.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|