Q. Can a leukemia patient have a normal CBC?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Sep 03, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 05, 2019

I am 36 years old. Will my CBC be normal if I have leukemia? For the past several months, I have been exhausted, had constant headaches, have bruises appearing without injury sometimes in strange places like my stomach, and have joint and bone pain. My dad has lymphoma, and my maternal grandmother died of blood cancer. Please help.

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Hematology Pathology
#

Based on your query, my opinion it is as follows,

1. It is highly unlikely.

2. Bruises, if it is appearing, could be platelet or vascular disorder. As CBC (complete blood count) is normal, platelet disorder is ruled out. Vascular disorder, if present requires study.

3. If a lymphoma is suspected, need to look for any lymph nodes enlargement. If there are any swelling in the neck, or axillary region or in the inguinal region, then it requires biopsy or FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology).

4. If there is a vascular disorder, injuries should usually start bruises if it is occurring, without any damage. Being a normal CBC, there is no leukemia. Lymphoma requires a search for lymph nodes. I hope it helps.

Does an elevated WBC always indicate leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, I got blood work done and WBC was 14.8 and absolute neutrophils were 10.9. I was suffering from sun poisoning and a sinus infection. I also suffer from severe anxiety and panic disorder. I just want to know if this is an indication of leukemia.  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concern. An elevated WBC (white blood cell) count does not necessarily indicate leukemia. Even a mild infection can lead to the elevation of WBC count. Leukemia is a cancer of the blood cells. The most common symptoms are...  Read Full

My daughter has cough. Shall I give her Dexona?

Query: Hello doctor, My 5 year old daughter is suffering from a cough and mild fever for the last four days. Doctor prescribed with LCF Syrup and Azithral Syrup, but she is still coughing. Today, when she was sleeping, we heard cracking and wheezing sound and difficulty in breathing. Shall I give her Dexon...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do CBC (complete blood count) and a chest x-ray before starting Dexona (Dexamethasone) as it is a steroid. Also, there may be a history of childhood asthma (hyper-reactive airway disease) and it is better to be sure before giving this medicine. This mostly looks li...  Read Full

Is WBC count is 40000 suggestive of leukemia?

Query: Hello doctor, What would you think if you see a WBC count as 40000 on CBC findings? Is it enough to think about leukemia or lymphoma? What is the difference between leukemia and leukemoid reaction? Please explain.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: A count of 40000 is not high enough to think of leukemia on an immediate basis and leukemoid. The standard definition says count should be more than 50000 and should be caused by reactive causes outside the bone marrow. If y...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now