Q. My son is losing his ability to walk. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 11, 2021

My son is a month away from three years old. Approximately three months ago, he started to lose the ability to walk. He is not able to stand up by making a tripod position. His balance is extremely unstable, and his grip in his hands has diminished that he cannot hold a crayon. When he does walk, he skirts the furniture or refuses and says, ouch. I took him to his primary care doctor, and he ran a CBC and a CRP. Both came back normal, as well as x-rays on both ankles and knees. He asked to wait for a few weeks, monitor him, and return if it does not improve. After a few weeks, the doctor himself understood that it had gotten worse from just observing him in the clinic. He again ran another CBC, CRP, and CKMB. All those came back normal. We then got an EKG and discovered borderline RVH. We have an appointment with a neurologist by next week. So, I wanted to head up on the things to ask for, possibilities, and directions on where we go from here. Thank you for your time.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

I am sorry to inform you that things need to be taken care of as soon as possible. First of all, it is essential to know the diagnosis as it cannot be diagnosed in the first visit on most occasions. There is a possibility of leukodystrophy (an abnormal gene that affects the brain's white matter) due to some aberrant genes or metabolic abnormality as there is a regression of milestones. If there is a history of any illness in childhood in the family, it should be communicated to your doctor. In my view, he will run MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) to assess his brain.

|