Q. My son is losing his ability to walk. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2020

My son is a month away from 3 years old. Approximately 3 months ago, he started to lose the ability to walk. He is not able to stand up with making a tripod position. His balance is extremely unstable and his grip in his hands has diminished that he is not able to hold a crayon. When he does walk, he skirts the furniture or just refuses and says ouch. I took him to his primary care doctor and he ran a CBC and a CRP. Both came back normal as well as x-rays on both ankles and knees. He asked to wait for a few weeks, monitor him and return if it does not improve. After a few weeks, the doctor himself understood that it has gotten worse from just observing him in the clinic. He again ran another CBC, CRP and CKMB. All those came back normal. We then got an EKG and discovered borderline RVH. We have an appointment with a neurologist by next week. So, I wanted to head up on the things to ask for, possibilities and directions on where we go from here. Thank you for your time.

#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

• I am sorry to inform you that the things need to be taken care as soon as possible.
  • There is a possibility of leukodystrophy (abnormal gene affects the white matter of the brain) due to some aberrant genes or metabolic abnormality as there is a regression of milestones.
  • In case there is a history of any illness in childhood in the family, then it should be communicated to your doctor.
  • In my view, he will run MRI for assessment of his brain. First of all it is essential to know the diagnosis as it is not something that can be diagnosed in the first visit on most occasions.

For further doubts consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|