Q. What are the white patches on the pubic area and what are its causes and treatment?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena

I have a confidential problem. I have had a white, raised patch on the backside of my penis for seven months. I have tried Clobetasol Propionate 0.05 %, but it did not help.

#

I understand your concern. It looks like you have lichen sclerosus, which is a chronic inflammatory condition of skin seen in both genders. It presents as glistening white patches on the skin over the genitals and is sometimes associated with redness and tightness of the involved skin with burning sensations. It is mainly seen in uncircumcised men. So if you are circumcised, we have to think of some other possibilities like vitiligo. Vitiligo patches are not usually raised. It has only depigmentation without any other changes and symptoms.

Kindly revert with more clarification about the state of circumcision and associated symptoms. Kindly provide a clinical photograph covering the entire area to see the adjoining parts to compare.

Both conditions respond to Clobetasole, but it is not recommended for more than six to eight weeks because of their side effects. Instead, I suggest ointment Tacrolimus 0.1% twice a day with some white soft paraffin cream for six weeks.

Take care

|