Q. I have consistent itching in the anal area. would you please suggest a medication?

Dr. Dilip Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2021

I am 36 years old. I am a non-smoker and non-drinker. I am a non-vegetarian. I have been facing consistent itching at the anal opening area and the anal sweat glands. I feel the itching is more during the nighttime. So far, I have not been diagnosed with any piles or similar ailments. Would you please suggest a medication (readily available in the medical store) for the itching problem? Also, is there any way I can do the self-diagnosis to check whether I have internal hemorrhoids?

Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

There can be various causes of perianal pruritis (itching), including piles, perianal candidiasis (fungal infection), intertrigo (skin inflammation), psoriasis, lichen sclerosus (white patches of skin), helminthic infections (a parasitic infection), and idiopathic (we cannot ascertain any cause). So it is not easy to assume the diagnosis without clinical examination. There are bulbous projections outside the anus in piles if the piles are external, which can be felt by touch or palpation. Bleeding and sometimes pain can be present. You cannot self-diagnose internal hemorrhoids. It is prudent that if there are no visible changes in the perianal area, we treat the common causes first. Avoid too spicy and oily food. I suggest the following medications for two weeks and revert:

1. Cream Candid-B (Clotrimazole and Beclomethasone) apply twice a day.

2. Tablet Vermact 12 mg (Ivermectin) take once a week for two weeks.

3. Capsule Itraconazole 100 mg twice a day.

4. Tablet Dazit 5 mg (Desloratadine) once at night.

Review after two weeks. And get your LFT (liver function test) done, along with stool examination to rule out helminth infection.

Take care.

|