Q. I have thick brown discharge and no bleeding during periods since a miscarriage last year. Why?

Dr. Lorena Zijaj
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2021

I am 37 years old. I had a miscarriage and abortion a year back. After that, I started to have periods regularly every 26 days. But I do not have bleeding. I have only thick brown discharge two drops in a day and it lasts for two days. Usually, I use to have heavy periods for five to six days. I have done all the tests. There are no abnormal issues found in me. The doctor suggested me to take contraceptive pills for three months for thinning the lining. The doctor told me that it can also occur due to it. Even after taking contraceptive pills for three months, I do not have any improvement. What to do?

#

I understand your concern. After D&C (dilation and curettage) abortion, scar tissues or adhesions are formed inside the uterus. It is referred to as Asherman syndrome. The majority of women have this syndrome with few periods or absence of periods. Sometimes, in menstruating women, blood is unable to leave the uterus due to scar tissues. I suggest you do a hysteroscopy to evaluate the scar tissues. The doctor has a possibility to treat the condition by excising the damaged tissues or hysterosalpingography can be taken to diagnose the condition. You need to consult your doctor to rule out the cause of the issue.

|