Q. In the past three months, my periods have become lighter and shorter. Should I be worried?

Dr. Artur Holubka
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

I am 28 years old with a child. I want to find out whether I have an ovarian torsion. My period cycle has changed from 28 days to 30 days. I have severe pain on the first day of my period and it causes painless spotting on the fourth day for the past three months. But now I have light spotting only on the 34th day. I have done some blood tests and a scan. But all seems to be in a normal range. I am worried. Please help me.

#

Ovarian torsion is an acute surgical condition caused by complete or partial volvulus of the ovary. It disturbs the blood flow and nutrition. Ovarian torsion causes sudden severe abdominal pain with one-sided localization. There is bloody leucorrhea, nausea, vomiting, stool disturbance, dysuria, fever, and tachycardia. Ovarian torsion can be diagnosed by doing a bimanual examination, ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis, and laparoscopy. It requires surgical actions such as laparoscopic detorsion, cystectomy, ovarian resection, ovariectomy, and adnexectomy. Therefore, you do not have ovarian torsion.

On considering the symptoms and history, you can have endometriosis. You can undergo cytology of a smear taken from the uterus and a physical examination can be done. Consult a gynecologist to assess the condition of the external and internal genital organs. I also recommend you do an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvic organs to exclude extragenital endometriosis. You can test your FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone), LTH (luteotrophic hormone), progesterone, estradiol, and prolactin. All these can give an accurate diagnosis.

You can have mucosal leukoplakia, dysplastic changes, and hormonal imbalance.

|