Follicle develops into big cyst every month. Doctor says, it is because of subserosal fibroid. Is this correct?

Q. Follicle develops into big cyst every month. Doctor says, it is because of subserosal fibroid. Is this correct?

Answered by
Dr. Richa Agarwal
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022


My wife has regular periods. All tests are normal. Her follicle develops into a big cyst every month. Doctor says it is because of subserosal fibroid. Is this correct?



Welcome to

You should consult a gynaecologist and get her hormonal profile done to rule out other causes if any.

Follicular cyst may be because of PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) or it may be because of subserosal fibroid and also it can be because of hormonal changes.

Subserosal fibroid is nothing but a uterine fibroid.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have further questions, consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Thanks for your quick response.

We are consulting a gynaecologist here. She said that PCOD is not there (confirmed this from scan). We have done FSH, LH, ESTRADIOL, PROLACTIN, FT4,TSH tests and all are normal. Her periods are normal (32 days). We are doing follicular study for past 3 months (from 12th day). She is regularly taking prolactin (cabergolin 0.25mg every 15 days) and thyronorm to keep her prolactin and TSH levels normal. She has been taking cabergolin for past 2 months and thyronorm for past 8 months as prescribed by endocrinologist. Every month we are seeing a dominant follicle developing into a big cyst without rupturing. Our gynaecologist said that the subserosal fibroid causes hormonal imbalance which makes the follicle develop into a cyst. My question is "If there is hormonal imbalance, how to check this and confirm that a particular hormone is abnormal. Is there any particular test to be done?" Please suggest.



First of all you have already done so many hormone level tests.

But there is one test left, go for oestrogen and progesterone hormone level tests, since fibroid and cyst because of fibroid can grow only with increased oestrogen levels.

She should go for regular check up and see the progress of cyst since many cysts subside without treatment.

Hope this helps. Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can uterine fibroid be cured without surgery?

I have heavy bleeding from two or three months ... The heavy bleeding may be due to the fibroid and menopausal symptoms ...   Read full

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

.. that PCOD is not diagnosed by ultrasound.Kindly get thyroid profile, serum androsterone test, serum prolactin, serum testosterone, free androgen index, serum insulin, and fasting blood sugar test done.   Read full

I am 18 weeks pregnant.I am tensed about low lying placenta.Kindly help.

.. gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This level 2 anomaly scan is absolutely normal for the foetus pertaining to its growth and absence of any congenital anomalies.   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.