Q. Follicle develops into big cyst every month. Doctor says, it is because of subserosal fibroid. Is this correct?

Dr. Richa Agarwal
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

My wife has regular periods. All tests are normal. Her follicle develops into a big cyst every month. Doctor says it is because of subserosal fibroid. Is this correct?

#

You should consult a gynaecologist and get her hormonal profile done to rule out other causes if any.

Follicular cyst may be because of PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease) or it may be because of subserosal fibroid and also it can be because of hormonal changes.

Subserosal fibroid is nothing but a uterine fibroid.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have further questions, consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for your quick response.

We are consulting a gynaecologist here. She said that PCOD is not there (confirmed this from scan). We have done FSH, LH, ESTRADIOL, PROLACTIN, FT4,TSH tests and all are normal. Her periods are normal (32 days). We are doing follicular study for past 3 months (from 12th day). She is regularly taking prolactin (cabergolin 0.25mg every 15 days) and thyronorm to keep her prolactin and TSH levels normal. She has been taking cabergolin for past 2 months and thyronorm for past 8 months as prescribed by endocrinologist. Every month we are seeing a dominant follicle developing into a big cyst without rupturing. Our gynaecologist said that the subserosal fibroid causes hormonal imbalance which makes the follicle develop into a cyst. My question is "If there is hormonal imbalance, how to check this and confirm that a particular hormone is abnormal. Is there any particular test to be done?" Please suggest.

#

First of all you have already done so many hormone level tests.

But there is one test left, go for oestrogen and progesterone hormone level tests, since fibroid and cyst because of fibroid can grow only with increased oestrogen levels.

She should go for regular check up and see the progress of cyst since many cysts subside without treatment.

Hope this helps. Revert back with the reports to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|