Q. What causes difficulty in walking with lightheadedness, dizziness, migraine, and nausea?

Dr. Vinay. S. Bhat

I have been having problems walking with lightheadedness. It has affected my mental health, and I have been to every doctor. Some are saying it is vertigo, while others say it is blood pressure. But no tablets have helped. My current symptoms are dizziness, nausea, migraines, swaying sensation, loss of appetite, and loose bowels. I really would love an opinion as I want my life back and struggling a lot.

#

Suppose you have already undergone all the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the brain and videonystagmography. And if they are found to be expected, then there are only a few possibilities that need to be ruled out. They are as follows;

1) Vestibular migraine: It is the most common condition causing imbalance, nausea, headaches, and various other symptoms, which can be treated very easily.

2) PPPD (Persistent postural perception dizziness): It is mainly a functional condition related to a phobia disorder. This condition requires detailed evaluation by an ENT specialist and a psychiatrist. Treatment involves counseling and medicines.

3) Superior canal dehiscence syndrome, also known as minors syndrome: This usually requires surgery.

4) Vestibular paroxysmia is an uncommon condition related to the looping of blood vessels around the auditory nerve inside the skull. MRI can diagnose this condition, and medicines usually work once the diagnosis is made.

So diagnosis requires detailed evaluation by an experienced ENT specialist, and once the diagnosis is made, treatment is usually effective.

Thanks.

|