Q. Please help me understand the liver biopsy of a diabetic patient.

Below is the biopsy report of my father who is 72-year-old diabetic. He was not feeling well for past one month. Can you please help me understand what does it mean? The liver biopsy result states that:

1. Gross: Linear cores of tissue largest measuring 1 cm-A/E (pJA/SH).
  2. Microscopy: shows liver tissue with a neoplasm composed of cells arranged in nests and cords separated by sinusoids. Cells have pleomorphic nuclei with intranuclear inclusion, prominent nucleoli, and abundant eosinophilic cytoplasm.
#

I am very afraid to tell you that these reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) are suggestive of liver cancer. This needs to be evaluated by further CECT (contrast-enhanced computed tomography) abdomen and PET (positron emission tomography) scan. I suppose you should see a cancer specialist as soon as possible. I hope it helps you.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks for the instant reply. Are there any chances of recovery? If so what is your advise for the best course of action?

#

It depends on the spread and primary focus of cancer. So, a PET scan followed by radiotherapy and chemotherapy would be required.

|