Q. What are the treatment options for liver cirrhosis other than a liver transplant?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

My 57-year-old mother was diagnosed with a hepatitis B infection two years, and she is under regular medications. We performed a liver function test last year, which revealed that her liver was in good shape. However, she was recently diagnosed with liver cirrhosis, caused by the virus harm (hepatitis). The doctor believes that a transplant would be a good choice as she is currently in a severe condition and is becoming weaker day by day. Although such surgery is not possible in our place, the doctor still insists a surgery. I have all the test results up to date with me, and I have the reports.

Kindly give your opinion.

#

Welcome you to icliniq.com.

Unfortunately, the report is not satisfactory. The CT (computed tomography) scan and the raised alpha protein suggest that she has a tumor in the liver (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity).

Although the abdominal MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) done after the CT scan does not suggest a liver tumor, your mother is still at risk. The alpha-fetoprotein is a tumor marker, and it is significantly raised in her. This makes me believe that it is a liver tumor.

Considering the tumor size, I agree with the treating physician that a liver transplant seems to be the only option.

Thanks for the reply.

How long will it take to prepare her for the surgery?

Thanks.

#

Welcome back to ilciniq.com.

It is hard to predict the number of months, but roughly it takes less than six months. Since she has ascites and a small tumor in the liver, the survival goes to only one year if the patient has that much ascites; similarly, the untreated tumor can have survival of nine months to one year.

I hope this answers your concern.

|