Q. Why is there severe pain even after anesthesia during tooth extraction?

Dr. Soheel Hussain Zargar

I went to the dentist this morning for an extraction on a bottom molar on my left side. After being completely numbed he started the extraction and I had excruciating pain. He numbed me more but no matter how much he numbed, it hurt so bad. He eventually said he would refer me to a dental surgeon so I could be sedated. He was extremely nice about it the entire time but I could tell he just thought I was anxious and misinterpreting the pressure as pain. I was extremely nervous and anxious so I understand but I have had a tooth pulled before and I know the pressure, but this was an intense pain even though I was numbed. He said the dental surgeon would give me an IV that would relax me and make the procedure easier for me. I am worried that being sedated will not stop the pain. He said because I had a bad infection in the tooth that it could be causing the pain so he prescribed me some antibiotics to get rid of the infection. My questions are is this normal to have such terrible pain even while completely numb and will being sedated even help with this pain?

#

It is the best question I have got in my practice and the most frequent query is how and why.

This is due to two reasons. Infected tooth with much inflammation or patient's anxious nature. So to tackle such cases it is better to prescribe antibiotics for five days then extract even if patient complaints, again it is better to give him or her tablet of Alprazolam before extraction one or two days to relieve anxiety. Moreover, before blocking the nerve, we can also give an injection of Dexamethasone which reduces inflammation.

I have pain and bleeding after molar tooth extraction. Please advise.

Query: Hello doctor, Is it normal for a dentist to not prescribe anything for pain after having a broken molar extracted, and three roots pulled out? My tooth was extracted yesterday, still bleeding heavily. I had fever through the day.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Most dentists will offer pain medications if the procedure can reasonably be expected to cause pain that cannot be managed by OTC medication. In your case, I wonder why he has not prescribed any because extracting a third molar root can be a little difficult and the pa...  Read Full

Can I undergo surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma under local anesthesia?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 60 year old healthy female with medically controlled hypertension. I have Behcet’s disease, though mostly under control. I have had various tropical diseases. I also had hepatitis A at childhood, and TB meningitis. I also have scoliosis.  I have been diagnosed BCC (Basal...  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should ask your surgeon the reason behind giving general anaesthesia in your case. Basal cell carcinoma is a locally invasive tumour with very rare chances of malignancy. The need for general anesthesia can arise when on clinical examination it was found that the...  Read Full

Will local anesthesia under sedation decrease pain while suturing?

Query: Hi doctor,My surgeon is recommending local anesthesia with sedation for an umbilical hernia. It is a small hernia as per the surgeon, and a small incision and perhaps 1 or 2 stitches on the abdomen will be needed to repair it and perhaps a small mesh on top if needed. I have had a terrible experienc...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sukhdev Garg
Anesthesiologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I hope you are doing fine. Coming to your query, the efficacy of local anesthesia depends on various factors like the expertise of anesthetist, drugs used, adjuvants, the amount of drug used, etc. For a small and uncomplicated hernia, local anesthesia with sedation i...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now