Q. My dry cough became productive cough. Am I suffering from cytokine storm?

Dr. Afifa Nighat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

A week ago i started feeling bad...dry cough, fever no more than 37.8 ... Those symptoms kept on going for 3 days. After 3 days dry cough became productive cough and the fever disappeared ...but instead i lost my smell and i developed a tiny pain im my throat. ( i still have my taste) During this period I took antibiotics, vitamin c,d and zinc. Is this covid? i am really afraid regarding the "cytokine storm"...how does that manifest? will i develop a fever if that happens?

#

hello welcome to icliniq! hope you're doing well! There is a possibility of you suffering from covid 19 , as you had some typical symptoms such as fever and loss of smell initially. Since one week has already passed , you have entered a comparatively safer zone of covid infection that means likelyhood of covid related complications after 7-10 days is minimal according to studies. As for your concern regarding cytokine release syndrome (CRS) which is characterized by fever, with or without multiple organ dysfunction. It is suspected in a patient with fever, with or without tachypnea, tachycardia, hypotension, hypoxia etc . It seems unlikely for you to be suffering from CRS in absence of above symptoms. Just follow SOPs , improve hydration and nutritional status. Continue taking supplement particularly vit D. Best wishes

| 

I have throat pain, but there is no actual swelling. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female. My symptoms are as follows: Intense throat pain while swallowing saliva. The pain radiates to the ear and sometimes, head and gives me a headache. Dry throat, especially in the area of pain. I also have a feeling of swelling in the throat, but the doctor said th...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to restore my loss of smell?

Query: Hello doctor, I have lost my smell. I have consulted many ENT doctors for the past two years but could not resolve the problem. I also have a frequent cold with sneezing. Particularly in the morning, severe sneezing occurs. Please help.  Read Full »

Fever in Babies: When to Call the Doctor

Article Overview: Fever is a non-specific symptom. When babies have fever, it can be traumatic for the parents as well, because they are unsure of what is causing it and how to soothe the baby. Adding to their anxiety, the baby is unable to explain his/ her discomfort in words. This article deals with how to take care of a baby who is down with fever and when to seek medical help. Read Article

Dr. Vasantha K S
Child Health Specialist

Fever is not an illness by itself, but a symptom. It can be due to virus or bacteria. Viral fevers that come with the common flu or cold tend to subside within three days. They do not require antibiotics as these medicines have no effect on the virus. On the other hand, bacterial fevers like urinary...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now