Q. I have loss of smell for the past 2 years with frequent cold and sneezing. Please help.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 27, 2020

I have lost my smell. I have consulted many ENT doctors for the past two years but could not resolve the problem. I also have a frequent cold with sneezing. Particularly in the morning, severe sneezing occurs. Please help.

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

#

The possible causes for loss of smell are

1. Rhinitis.

2. Sinusitis.

3. Ethmoidal polyps.

4. Neurodegenerative diseases.

5. Vitamin B12, and Folic acid deficiency.

6. Tumor of the CNS (central nervous system).

7. Trauma.

But in your case possible the cause is sinusitis with or without polyp. Rhinitis and sinusitis may lead to congestion and edema of mucosa, and also nerve endings may give rise to anosmia.

1. So use salt water gargling thrice a day for five days.

2. Use water vapor inhalation thrice a day for five days.

3. Use decongestants like Phenylephrine (tablet Lecope-AD) and anti-histamines to decrease congestion.

4. Avoid cool drinks and ice creams.

5. Use Otrivin nasal spray twice a day for five days.

6. Use tablet Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid 625 mg twice a day for five days.

If symptoms are not improved please get done x-ray paranasal sinuses and nasal endoscopy then we come to know the cause. So review with above reports or consult with your ENT specialist he will examine and treat you accordingly.

|