Q. I have nasal congestion with increased intensity at night. Please help.

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 29, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 23, 2020

I have nasal congestion and it gets worse at night. I have not slept in two days. I have been taking Sinucon but I am afraid of overtaking of medication.

#

Welcome to ilciniq.com.

There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a very common entity that we encounter daily. Before we jump into the treatment I want to definitely know the answers to a few questions.

Is there any ongoing allergy or sinusitis? Does the nasal stuffiness often occur due to change in weather, climate, or any other reason?

Sinucon will not provide long term relief in a scenario where we do not know why this nasal congestion has developed. It is more like treating the problem superficially and vaguely and rather than a specific treatment.

If you can answer the above questions we can give a more definitive answer.

I have mentioned some measures and treatment which you can follow for now.

Tablet Sinarest (Paracetamol, Phenylephrine Hydrochloride and Chlorpheniramine Maleate) one tablet two times a day morning and evening after food for the next one week.

Duonase (Fluticasone propionate) nasal spray two puffs in each nostril two times a day (morning and evening) for the next two weeks.

Otrivin (Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride) nasal drops three drops thrice daily for the next one week.

Avoid any dust, fumes, and smoke which can trigger the nasal allergy or nasal congestion. You can do this by wearing an n95 mask as much as possible.

Do not drink alcohol or smoke as much as possible.

Do steam inhalations five to six times a day for the next one week.

Avoid having cold drinks, oily, and spicy food. Avoid exposure to direct AC and fan air.

I guess this should be sufficient to give you good relief. For long term treatment, I would want to know if there are any associated allergic problems out there. I hope this helps.

|