Q. I am experiencing low back pain after lifting heavyweight. Kindly interpret my MRI.

Dr. Tejash Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

I have lower back pain for more than two months. I lifted a heavy rice bag, and the pain is always there since then. No pain in legs, no numbness, and no symptoms other than lower back pain. I cannot bend forward, and I find difficulty in some positions that I used to do. The pain is on the base of the spine above the buttocks in the center, and I can feel stiffness to the pelvis bones both ways. I did an MRI yesterday.

#

As per your history of weight lifting and finding of MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity) sacralization of L5-S1 disc and nerve root compression at L3-L4 and retrolysthesis L3 + L4 means posterior displacement of one vertebra over another occurs. So that it also causes nerve root compression, which is responsible for pain sensation and motor (movement). Sometime pain also radiates to the lower limb, tingling and numbness may happen, and sometime hypoesthesia may happen. In your case, pain is restricted to back only not radiated and other areas I think. So due to retrolysthesis and nerve root compression your back pain is there.

You need to take some precautions like avoid bending and weight lifting. And we need to take care that your lysthesis does not increase further as it may cause some serious issue,so do not be anxious but need to take some care and precaution, medication and physiotherapy.

Wear LS belt while traveling and moving during day time and avoid long driving and activities involved in jerking movement. We can start some medicine like tablet Clorxozason 325 mg + Diclofenac 50 mg + PCM (325mg) combination or separately two times a day after a meal, tab Deflazacorte 6 mg twice daily after meal, tablet Pregabalin 75 mg before bedtime after meal, capsule Omeprazole 20 mg before meal, and Diclofenac gel or spray for local application start all medicine for seven days. You can consult a physiotherapist for physiotherapy.

Follow up after seven days.

|