Q. What causes radiating lower back pain during sleep?

Dr. Hariharan V
Published on Nov 23, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2019

I am 54 years old. My weight is 145 lbs and height is 5'7". Almost every night I am getting severe pain in my right hip and groin. The pain is sharp and burning. It radiates down to my right leg. However, it completely dissipates after about 15 minutes of walking around. Always the pain occurs in the same side. I have zero pain during the day. This has been going on for almost six months now. What could this be? What questions should I ask my primary care physician? Earlier I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and low protein C and S. My medications are Forteo since one year, Estrogen patch over 5 years and B12 injection.

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

I have read your query completely.

I do not think this pain is due to appendicitis or ureteric stone. They will cause severe pain and does not relieve by walking. You are taking Forte for osteoporosis which does not cause you this problem.

It may be due to cramps, which is common in osteoporosis due to altered calcium and other mineral metabolisms.The pain may be due to lumbar disc prolapse which is lumbar discitis. In which case the pain starts from the lower back and spreads to one of the legs.

It can also be due to faulty sleeping position. Many people have sleepy legs due to faulty sleeping position. It is commonly relieved by altering the position. Sometimes we sleep by keeping one leg over a pillow or edge of the cot. It may cause nerve compression and temporary burning pain over the legs.

You should ask the following questions to your primary care physician:

1. Is this cramp? If it is so, taking a multivitamin tablet regularly may relieve this.
  2. Is MRI lumbar spine needed to rule out disc problem?
  3. Ask whether your sleeping position is correct or not.

After visiting your doctor please do update me for any doubts you have. My wishes for quick recovery.

I feel an irritation of the nerve over the left temple. Is it a neurological or dental problem?

Query: Hello doctor, From the past three months, I am having pain like irritation of the nerve on the left side exactly on the temple of the head, and in the left jaw in front of the ear. This pain radiates to the back of the ear, below the left jaw, and then radiates to the left side of the neck. The pain...  Read Full »

I have chest soreness and radiating pain.Is this due to pleurisy or costochondritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old, otherwise healthy (as far as I know) female. I was a smoker earlier. No history of heart disease. My mother has COPD, but has been a long time smoker.  Two and a half weeks ago, I went on a hayride with my sons. I have a short stature. To get on and off the hayrid...  Read Full »

How to control continuous abnormal vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 45 years old. Since last month, she has had continuous abnormal vaginal bleeding. She has been prescribed by doctor Deviry 10 mg twice a day. Even after one week of medication, no improvement has been seen. Please help.  Read Full »