Q. Is there any method to delay periods without any side effects?

Published on Feb 10, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am 22 year old female, and I am getting married this month, and I am going for my honeymoon. So, I want to delay my periods without any side effect. I am still a virgin, so I do not want to ruin my honeymoon. So, please suggest the best medicine. When to start taking it, in what dose, and when to stop it?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Let me start by congratulating you in advance for your wedding.

There are many methods, all using hormones, to either prepone or postpone the period. I would like to suggest the simplest and the best method. I would not confuse you with too many dates, as these hormones have to be taken on time without fail, any failure can cause bleeding in between.

Try taking oral birth control pills or contraceptive pills, like tablet Duoluton-L or Dear 21 or Novelon or Ovral G or Intimacy plus 3. Have one tablet at night now onwards for 21 days, and without giving a break, start the next packet. Take it until the date you want to postpone the periods, and you will get your period 4 to 7 days after stopping the pill.

• Your packet will have 21 pills, and if the medicine you buy has 28 pills (21 active pills and seven inactive pills) do not use the dummy pills. Only take the active pills.
  • Do not worry, this pill has no side effects and is not costly. They are just hormones estrogen and progesterone, same as that produced in the body every month. It is digested by the body within hours. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine after their consent.
  • By taking the pills, you are suppressing the hormone production, and thereby taking control of your periods. Never forget to take a pill, or else periods or spotting will start.

It is also the best contraceptive method for a newlywed couple. You will have 100 % protection and no trouble with sex. In such a case, you will have to take it cyclically from the first day of bleeding.

Thank you for the reply. Can I start taking the pills after my periods get over? Because I already got my periods. Is it advisable to have this medicine during periods?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Do not worry about the side effects of the pills, as these pills are a combination of estrogen and progesterone, which is produced in the body every month. We always advise to start the pills within the first five days of periods, but as your purpose of taking this pills is to postpone periods, you can start it after the periods also.

But if you keep delaying the date of pills too close to the date of periods, you may get your periods as your hormones will not get suppressed. Do not forget the pill in between, if you forget pills in between, bleeding or spotting can start which is difficult to stop. Hope I have clarified your doubt, do write back.

Thank you so much for your advice. I have started Ovral G and taking everyday after my dinner. I take around 11.30 pm to 12.30 midnight everyday. I got some pimples. Are those due to side effect of Ovral G? Ovral G packet had 20 pills. So, I bought two packets. Can I have sex without condoms till the date I am taking medicine? Is there any chance of me getting pregnant? I hope it will not be any problem for me in future when I really want to be pregnant. It is the first and last time I am taking this medicine. I will stop this medicine once my honeymoon gets over. Please guide me. Thank you.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Yes, Ovral G is a good contraceptive pill, but only if taken without a break. So, you can have the sex without any protection. If you are keen to have babies immediately, then stop this pill after honeymoon. But if you want to delay pregnancy, then this is the best method. Keep taking it cyclically. They keep your periods regular, give 100% contraceptive protection and no side effects. You can have them for as many years as you want. The pill is the hormones produced by your body, so no side effects.

About boils, could be due to the anxiety or cosmetic or oily skin. Wash face with mild soap like pears or dove three to four times a day, apply Clindac-A (Clindamycin) ointment locally on boils two times a day. They will disappear. All the best.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Accidentally, had birth control pill during pregnancy. What shall I do?

Query: Hi doctor, I got my last period on the 1st of last month. Two days back, I used birth control pills. But, I am 2 weeks pregnant now. Will it cause any side effect?  Read Full »

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »

Does a contraceptive pill affect periods?

Query: Hi doctor, Are contraceptive pills safe to take? Does it affect periods? Does taking contraceptive pills completely reduce the chances of pregnancy or is there still some chance? Is it completely safe to take it even if having intercourse very occasionally? Or is there some other better way to avo...  Read Full »