Q. I am suffering from dizziness and low BP. Shall I continue Atenolol 50 mg?

Dr. Amit Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

I am on medication Atenolol 50 mg for the last 2 years. Nowadays, I am going through low blood pressure. Yesterday, my blood pressure was 115/65 mmHg. I am also having dizziness. I had gone through dizziness and low blood pressure of 110/65 mmHg last month and it remained for four to five days. Again, it is repeating, this month. My fasting blood sugar level is 115 and triglyceride 240 mg/dL. Kindly suggest.

#

I would like to ask a few questions.

• Do you ever complain of chest pain associated with palpitation? Is there any family history of heart disease?
  • Since how long you are taking Atenolol? Do have complained of shortness of breath or edema over legs and feet?
  • I would like you to get the following tests done. Echo to check the pumping action of the heart and ECG.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and alter the dosage of Atenolol and get your BP monitored regularly.

ECG and echo.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a cardiologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

I do not have any chest pain or edema in the legs. Also, there is no such significant family history of heart disease. I have been taking Atenolol for the last 2 years. I will get back to you as soon as possible with the test reports.

#

Thanks for your answers and it helped me in understanding the problem more deeply.

• These episodes of dizziness and low blood pressure are most probably due to the poor pumping action of heart and so I advised you those tests.
  • Atenolol reduces heart rate and that contribute more to the problem. We cannot stop it immediately, so you were advised to get the dose reduced.
  • Ideally, it should be replaced by some other hypertensive medicine, but before the reports come we cannot do anything. So, kindly follow up with the reports.

Revert back with the reports to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|