Q. Can low ferritin levels lead to weakness, fatigue, and pain in muscles and bones?

Dr. Shaiza Hashmi

I am always sleepy, no matter how much I sleep at night. I have weakness and a foggy mood. I am always depressed and do not feel happy. I have pain in my muscle and bone which is unexplainable. I cannot lose weight no matter how much I try. I also experience hair fall and dry skin. I always feel dizzy and have a bad headache. I have run a lot of tests, and everything is more than perfect except only one thing, which is my ferritin level which is at 4.36 µg/L. I have experienced pain in the left side of my chest and feel it in my back as well. The doctors have said my heart is fine. Can you please advise me and help me?

#

There could be various reasons, some of which are:

Dehydration, iron deficiency, hemoglobin deficiency, decreased levels of thyroid hormones, vitamin D deficiency, use of some medicines, or polycystic ovarian diseases.

All the above factors are the culprit to cause symptoms, as you defined.

So, in my opinion, you should rehydrate yourself and drink 8 glasses of water daily. Check your vitamin D, serum TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), and T3 and T4 levels. Do a complete blood count and a serum iron level test.

Kindly give me your complete gynecological history about your periods, whether they are regular or irregular. Do you have any pain during that time, and how is the flow? Do you have any family history of polycystic ovarian disease? Kindly let me know all of this to advise you better on the issue.

|