Q. Is it something serious to have Hb and hematocrit at low level with high RDW-CV?

Dr. Pooja Pardhi

I am 33 years old single female. My hemoglobin is 10.5, RDW-CV is 18.3, MCHC 39.6, hematocrit is 26.5. Any issues, let me know and what you prefer for me? Please let me know.

#

I have gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concern. As per the values mentioned by you, the hemoglobin level is low which indicates anemia. RDW-CV is on the higher side (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Its normal value should be up to 15. A high RDW-CV favors iron deficiency anemia. But it can be seen in B12 and folate deficiency also.

Hematocrit is low. The normal value should be between 37 to 48 % for women. All the three parameters are indicating towards iron deficiency anemia. Only MCHC is contradictory but in early stages, you can find normal or slightly high MCHC in iron deficiency anemia. To confirm it, I suggest you few blood tests like a peripheral smear, serum iron, total iron binding capacity, ferritin levels, serum B12, and folate. There are many causes of iron deficiency anemia like chronic blood loss from the gastrointestinal tract, menorrhagia, hookworm infestation, dietary deficiency, etc. In my opinion, you should consult a physician and get evaluated properly so that the cause of anemia could be found and proper treatment in the form of iron supplementation can be given.

Iron deficiency anemia.

Peripheral smear, serum iron, total iron binding capacity, serum ferritin, serum B12 and folate, stool occult blood.

|