Q. What precautions need to be taken for having low lying placenta?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am 30 years old. I am in my first trimester of pregnancy. My 10 weeks 4 days ultrasound showed a very healthy baby of 36 mm with movements and strong heart beat. It is great news. It also mentioned that anterior placenta extending on the lower end. My gynecologist did not seem concerned at all and even never mentioned it. But, what does it mean? Is too early to judge? Or is there some precaution I must take? Thanks in advance.

#

It is too early to judge about placental position.

Secondly with growth of baby, placenta normally moves up. So, there is nothing of concern right now.

Regarding precautions, low lying placenta which is also known as placenta previa may sometimes bleed (manifests as vaginal bleeding) with sexual intercourse. You have to keep this fact in mind if you experience bleeding.

You can avoid intercourse to avoid bleeding, though it is not a must. Sexual abstinence not compulsory, as the placenta is just extending on the lower end and not of serious type which covers internal opening of the cervix.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

We have been abstaining from intercourse for a while to be safe. We would probably do so till my 13 weeks scan, to avoid any issues.

#

You are welcome. Wish you good health.

|