Q. What precautions need to be taken for having low lying placenta?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 22, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2019

I am 30 years old. I am in my first trimester of pregnancy. My 10 weeks 4 days ultrasound showed a very healthy baby of 36 mm with movements and strong heart beat. It is great news. It also mentioned that anterior placenta extending on the lower end. My gynecologist did not seem concerned at all and even never mentioned it. But, what does it mean? Is too early to judge? Or is there some precaution I must take? Thanks in advance.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

It is too early to judge about placental position.

Secondly with growth of baby, placenta normally moves up. So, there is nothing of concern right now.

Regarding precautions, low lying placenta which is also known as placenta previa may sometimes bleed (manifests as vaginal bleeding) with sexual intercourse. You have to keep this fact in mind if you experience bleeding.

You can avoid intercourse to avoid bleeding, though it is not a must. Sexual abstinence not compulsory, as the placenta is just extending on the lower end and not of serious type which covers internal opening of the cervix.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

We have been abstaining from intercourse for a while to be safe. We would probably do so till my 13 weeks scan, to avoid any issues.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You are welcome. Wish you good health.

| 

I am having very little vaginal bleeding. Is it periods?

Query: Hello doctor, Actually, I was about to get my periods near 5th of this month but I got it six days back. The problem is that bleeding is very very little by little, I mean just a few drops without any pain or any blood clots. I am not sure it is my period or vaginal bleeding. As I am sexually activ...  Read Full »

Why do I have continous vaginal bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor, I am writing on behalf of my wife. She is facing continuous bleeding from vagina since seven days after post pregnancy bleeding. Here is the complete scenario. We blessed with a baby 38 days ago and it was a C-section delivery. 16 days back the bleeding had stopped completely. Everyth...  Read Full »

Pregnancy test had two mildly visible lines, but it is now negative.

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex six weeks ago and my period was late for two weeks. I used the first PT when my period was five days late and it has two lines but it is not that visible. After three days, I tried again and it is already negative. Up to the two-weeks late period, all PT are negat...  Read Full »