Q. I have loss of smell and taste with migraine and nasal congestion. Kindly assist.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I had an extreme cold last month. My symptoms are vomit, nausea, migraine, nasal congestion, and dry cough. And now it has been almost three weeks that I cannot smell or taste anything. I went to the doctor, and he gave me antibiotics and nasal spray. I am taking those medications for six days, and it is not working. And I am on my blood pressure medication (Aradois) daily.

#

Did he start you on oral steroids as well? Are you a diabetic? Please reply to my questions.

The nasal spray is a corticosteroid. I will attach photos of the medications. But the doctor did not give me the oral steroid. Is oral steroid a better option? How long does it take to see the results? Can you give the prescription? Is there any exam that I could do to make sure this is not a permanent condition?

#

You can continue the above treatment. Along with that, you need to start on oral steroid Prednisolone 30 mg per day in divided dose for five days and then 20 mg in divided dose for the next five days.

You should not take steroids only if you have diabetes. Take proton pump inhibitors for ten days and steroids before breakfast. After taking steroids, your symptoms may or may not improve.

If they do not improve, get a plain CT (computed tomography) scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses to rule out any focal pathology like chronic sinusitis or turbinate hypertrophy.

|