Q. I have low sexual desire and discomfort during sex. Kindly help.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I have a bit of a problem with my sexual desire. I have been on birth control for almost four and a half years and had an operation to remove my fallopian tube before seven months.

I have a partner for five years now, and we are happy, but I just do not get turned on by anything, and I am much less sexual. Apart from that, I do suffer from discomfort during sex. Please help.

Dr. Priyadarshini Tripathy

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Decrease in sexual desires among women is not very uncommon. So you do not need to excessively worry about it.

Causes of decreased sexual interest can be

1. Medical diseases affecting sex drive are arthritis, diabetes, high BP, and neurological diseases.

2. Medications: antidepressants inhibitors are known to lower the sex drive.

3. Lifestyle: smoking, alcohol, high or low BMI.

4. Surgery to breasts or genital tract.

5. Fatigue, exhaustion.

6. Hormone changes.

7. Psychological causes.

8. Mental health problems such as anxiety or depression.

9. Stress, such as financial stress or work stress.

10. Poor body image.

11. Low self-esteem.

As you see there are multiple causes of it. So a brief discussion can help in reaching a proper diagnosis and then I can offer you better treatment.

|