Q. The change in the size of the mole is due to the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy.

Dr. Vinay Kumar
Published on Sep 01, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2019

I have raised mole on my right armpit. I have it in my entire life. Currently, I am pregnant I have six weeks left. I noticed less than a week ago after it started hurting. It not only completely changed the shape, but it grew twice in size and went from brown to a pinkish color with dark spots.

As of today, the mole has turned entirely black. The swelling went away, but it is pure black. The skin underneath the mole is red, extending about half an inch on the surrounding area. Can I pull this mole off? Is it melanoma? Please help.

Dr. Vinay Kumar

Cosmetology Dermatology Microbiology Venereology
#

I have noted your history and concerns. What you currently are experiencing is activity in the form of an increase in size, and inflammation of a nevus or mole. The reason for this is pregnancy. As you must be aware, there are hormonal changes in pregnancy, especially near term that affects the skin in various ways, and this includes a difference in the appearance of any moles.

Rest assured, the problem in all likelihood would recede once you deliver. However, there might be some element of infection playing in part in the swelling. To control that, one needs to apply Mupirocin ointment twice a day, and that helps most cases. I am sure you do not have to worry as the investigation to establish the nature of mole can be considered at a later date. Kindly do not try to pull off the lesion as that might be risky.

| 

New moles are appearing in my palms. Is it melanoma?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24-year-old male. For the last six years, new black moles have been appearing in my palms. It is not creating issues like itching, pain, etc. I just want to know whether it a symptom of melanoma.  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »

Am i pregnant if the pregnancy test is negative?

Query: Hello doctor, I had my last period on the 1st of last month. I did not have sex until the 33rd day (it was protected sex) of my cycle. Now, I have not yet had my periods. It is the 39th day and I took a pregnancy test on the 38th day and it came out to be negative. I do not know what to do. I did ha...  Read Full »