Q. Why are my testosterone values so low?

Dr. Vaibhav

I am a 30-year-old male. I have been diagnosed with anxiety and ADHD and have noticed some signs of low testosterone and a few other things. I went to a GP and got blood work done. Almost everything was normal, except my testosterone which was 281 ng/dL, and my total cholesterol was 319 mg/dL. My liver enzymes were high, it was 239 U/L. Since this happened, I worked out five days a week and made significant improvements to my diet. I feel my testosterone should not be this low, and I wonder if that is the cause of some of my anxiety, liver function, and cholesterol. I have no idea what to ask my doctor to ensure I am informed of my health. Would you please give me your opinion on this? I went in for a routine exam and had trouble concentrating, low sex drive, and yellow eyes. I have been taking Escitalopram, Bupropion and Omeprazole.

I would also add that I underwent chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma twenty years back. Could this affect my testosterone level?

#

Thanks for writing in, and I understand your concern. The testosterone hormone has pulsatile nature. The value is effected by season, even intraday, so a single testosterone level is not considered diagnostic. But in your case, there are multiple reasons because of which testosterone level can be affected. Chemotherapy, anxiety, deranged liver, and cholesterol levels affect testosterone levels. You have not mentioned if you have children or plan for them in the future, as that will help decide treatment. According to your information, my advice is to continue your physical activity as the body fat reduces and your testosterone level increases. You will need to consult a gastroenterologist for your liver function abnormalities. Anxiety medication needs to be continued because it does not cause a decrease in libido.

It would be best to get scrotal sonography and a few other hormonal blood tests like follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) done to investigate the cause of low testosterone levels further.

Please discuss all of these things with your doctor.

|