Q. My WBC, MCV, MCH and MCHC values are slightly low. What can be done to increase the levels?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Sep 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I had a master health checkup and found the following abnormalities. A few values are out of range and they are as follows. Hemoglobin 12.7, total RBC count 5.62, MCV 62.4, MCH 19.2, MCHC 30.8, WBC count 3400, and platelet count 1.62. What medication should I take to increase the levels of MCV, MCH, MCHC, and WBC count. Please advise.

Hematology Pathology
#

Welcome to the icliniq.com.

I have read your attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and the following is my opinion for your case.

Your total WBC count is borderline low. It can be decreased temporarily due to some inflammation. You have to repeat CBC (complete blood count) after ten days to recheck total WBC count.

Your low MCV, high red blood cell count and borderline low hemoglobin could be due to some hemoglobinopathy. For that, I suggest you investigate further with Hb electrophoresis by HPLC method (high-performance liquid chromatography) and serum iron profile study.

You can revert with reports once done to guide you further. Meanwhile, you can take Ferrous ascorbate tablet for one month to raise hemoglobin.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I had a cold and cough for a few days. What medication needs to be taken to increase WBC count? Please advise.

Hematology Pathology
#

The cough and cold are suggestive of upper respiratory tract infection. So, you need to treat upper respiratory tract infection with medication rather than treating low WBC count. Your borderline low WBC count is due to cough and cold. Hence, take a decongestant tablet or syrup for your upper respiratory tract infection. After resolution of cough and cold within ten days, your total WBC count will automatically come within the normal range.

Your CBC report is also showing low Mentzer index. I suggest you rule out hemoglobinopathy by Hb electrophoresis. Kindly revert with electrophoresis report once done. If there is any hemoglobinopathy in electrophoresis report then you need to investigate your partner as well with Hb electrophoresis to prevent hemoglobinopathy in the future child.

I hope that I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Kindly regards.

Why is my WBC count persistently borderline high?

Query: Hello doctor, My main concerns are persistent borderline high blood values for the last two years. WBC count 14.5 *10^9/L, neutrophil count 8*10^9 and lymphocytes count 5.3*10^9/L (lab normal for lymphocyte between 1-4.8). Other parameters are mostly normal. Main symptoms are currently upper abdomin...  Read Full »

What symptoms occur when WBC is 3.7?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a blood test a few weeks ago. Everything came back within normal range except my white blood cell count. It was slightly low (3.7) and the normal range at my laboratory is 3.8 to 10.8. The test was done because I had mild hypertension and was put on Amlodipine. I have since gone of...  Read Full »

What causes fever and blocked ears with cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever with a cough. I have blocked ear. What can I do?  Read Full »

Ask a Hematologist Now