Q. For a 20 months old, how often can we give Bandy plus syrup ?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

My daughter is 20 months old and her weight is only 10.5 kg. She is not increasing her weight. But, she is very active. We had given Bandy syrup for worm problem, but still she keeps her fingers near anus. I would like to know the reason for such behavior. Could you please suggest me why she would do that? Also, can we give Bandy plus syrup 10 mL to resolve the worm issue? How often we need to give this medicine for small kids? Please suggest. Thank you.

#

• Weight of 10.5 kg for 20 months old child seems a little bit less, but not that much of a cause to worry.
  • Syrup Bandy (Albendazole and Ivermectin) can be given every six months once for worms.
  • I would advise that all people living with the child should take a tablet or syrup Bandy at the same time for once per week for six weeks if this issue is happening regularly, as there may be a carrier of this worm in the family.
  • Please continue mother's breast milk along with home cooked food for the child.
  • Avoid bottle feeding as it is one of the prime causes of infection in children. Use a little spoon instead for feeding.
  • As long as the child is active there should be no worries. Some children gain weight fast and others gain slowly.
  • Provide tender loving care to your child for emotional support and good growth.

I suggest the following medicines. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Syrup Calcimax P 2.5 ml twice daily for three months.
2. Syrup Bevon 2.5 ml twice daily for three months.
3. Syrup Tonoferon (vitamin B12) 2.5 ml in the evening or night (not to be given with Calcimax and to be taken after food).
4. Syrup Bandy Plus 10 mL at night once in every six months.

For further information consult a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|