Q. My son feels some discomfort in right hip and knee following lumbar puncture. Why?

Dr. Aida Quka
Published on Nov 17, 2019

My son is 17 years old. He has delayed learning. I am at the hospital for the last two weeks and they do not have an answer as to what is wrong with my son. MRI will be done on Monday. My son has IOP and ICP and due to his recent laser diode for glaucoma and LP, the result showed that his IOP and ICP were normal. The manner he presents his discomfort is he opens his mouth as if he was saying "uurrh" and takes my hand to his right hip joint and sometimes to the knee. He did this after he got up from sleep. My son takes Glaucoma eye drops and recently Azetomide.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

I understand your concern and would explain that his symptoms could be related to joint pain or musculoskeletal pain. For this reason, I would recommend performing some tests to investigate possible causes.

1. Complete blood count, PCR (polymerase chain reaction), and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) for inflammation.

2. Blood electrolytes for possible imbalances.

3. Vitamin D levels for possible deficiency.

Anyway, you should know that some back and hip pain after LP (lumbar puncture) is quite normal. Why was LP performed? Does he have any symptoms of intracranial hypertension like headaches, vomiting, etc.?

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need it.

LP was performed to confirm whether his lumbar peritoneal shunt was functioning and his ICP was normal. Neurosurgeon confirmed both were fine. He also had a laser diode operation and his IOP was normal. His pain radiates from the hip down to the knee. Is this normal?

I think the neurologist has requested complete blood count, PCR, ESR for inflammation, blood electrolytes for possible imbalances and vitamin D levels for possible deficiency.

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Thank you for the additional information. I have seen the video. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

In your uploaded video, your son's left hand is shaking in a rhythmic way. Is this happening in all these episodes? In my opinion, it could be related to a partial epilepsy seizure too, although the conscience seems to be normal. For this reason, I recommend showing this video to his neurologist and discussing the possibility of performing an EEG (electroencephalogram) to investigate for seizures. It is also necessary to consider panic attacks, especially if all the above tests results are normal.

You should discuss this with his doctor on the above issues. I hope this helps.

What can cause panic attacks?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been having panic attacks for the past 13 years. I have been to the hospital on multiple occasions and have been diagnosed with anxiety attacks every time. I have had EKGs and blood work done. All the reports are fine. Sometimes, I am having multiple panic attacks in a day and also...  Read Full »

I suffer from panic attack, anxiety, and fear of brain tumour even after doctors consultation. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27-year-old male. My weight is 255 lb, and I am a smoker. I suffer from panic attack, anxiety, and fear of cancer for six years. Right now I have been spending all my day reading about brain tumor because I think I have it since I have all the symptoms. Two weeks ago I had a pan...  Read Full »

I have a tight sensation on my left hip. What is causing this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 27 year old male. For about the last year, I have had this weird sensation on my left side. From my left hip up to below the bottom of my left ribcage. It is mostly just when I am laying on my side. When I lay on my left side it feels like I am laying on something like a flat p...  Read Full »