Q. Can panic attack cause constant fight or flight feeling?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 26, 2019

I have what I believe is a panic disorder. I have episodes where my stress gets too high something gets triggered and I felt stuck in constant fight or flight like a constant panic attack which lasts for atleast 2 months. Sometimes I can be calm in the evening but the next morning the panic starts again. In the past I have only got through this by using alcohol a lot to calm myself down. This time I have tried without alcohol and it has gone on for 7 months. What I would like to know is why I get stuck in severe fight or flight for so long and what can I do to help myself. It is like my thoughts are driving this too.

#

You are probably experiencing high levels of anxiety and panic symptoms which make you feel edgy and finding it difficult to relax. Physiological signs of sympathetic nervous system activation can happen in anxiety and panic disorders. Alcohol does not help and can make the situation worse. It is good that you are staying away from alcohol. Cut down on coffee, tea, caffeinated drinks. Regular exercise helps. Deep breathing techniques and progressive muscle relaxation can help to calm yourself.

Have you had your general examination done to exclude physical health causes like thyroid problems? Sometimes blood tests may be needed. I note that you are on Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which are both effective medication to treat depression and anxiety disorders. Dosage may need adjusting/optimising depending on your response and tolerability. Discuss with your doctor during your next review. Also discuss about CBT/psychological therapy to manage anxiety and panic symptoms. Hope this helps. Take care.

|