Q. What causes a hard, painful lump in the neck that is moving while swallowing?

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

I have a hard, painful lump in my neck above my Adam's apple. It moves when I swallow. I can pinch it from underneath and move it around slightly.

Kindly help.

#

As per your history, the neck swelling seems like ⁰submental lymphadenitis. It is inflammation of the submental lymph node. The common causes are oral cavity infections and skin infections like acne.

If you have any skin conditions (acne), it should be treated first so that the lymph nose will reduce in size on its own.

Kindly take the following;

1) Tablet Flucloxacillin 500 mg four times a day for five days after the meal.

2) Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg whenever you have severe pain.

3) Ointment Clindamycin over the acne area three times a day.

If the swelling does not improve, please do ultrasonography of the swelling.

I hope this will help you.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the lump is present only on one side? Does the bump on my neck seems like a lymph node?

Thanks.

#

There are different types of lymph nodes of the neck. Some of them are submental and submandibular lymph nodes. We can move the lymphadenopathy side to side or up and down.

And yes, as per your history, the location seems to be a lymph node.

|