Q. I have painful lumps on left armpit with fever and bodyache. Is it due to bacterial and viral infection?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 25, 2020

Last week, I developed painful lumps in my left armpit with 100 fever and severe body ache. I took PCM and the fever was gone. I had a sore throat too. However, the armpit lumps were there. Three days after this, a similar thing happened again with the lump becoming more painful. So I drank some hot water with ginger, fresh turmeric, and tulsi. The swelling reduced drastically and slight pain is there. But still, I can feel the swollen lymph node. A pea-sized node has now appeared on the left side too. Really I am very worried. Is it due to some viral or bacterial infection or something serious?

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

From your history, I understand that you are very concerned. But please do not panic and as you mentioned, these are lymph nodes that enlarge usually with infections bacterial or viral. Even after the infection subsides there are chances that lymph node still remains as they take time to disappear.

I hope you have taken a course of antibiotics for the infection as there were clear signs of infection. If the lymph node enlargement stays more than a month, please consult a nearby dermatologist for examination of the lesion.

If you still have signs of infection such as fever, please revert back so that I can guide you through this by advising what all investigations to take. If the fever has subsided, then please do not panic, if lymph node enlargement is your only concern, it will subside on its own.

|