Q. My daughter has abdominal lymphadenopathy. Is that a critical health issue?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

My daughter, who is 5 years old, was detected with abdominal lymphadenopathy. Her ESR level is 62. She is also suffering from constipation and abdominal pain. Her doctor done blood tests, ultrasound and endoscopy followed by histopathology. The biopsy report shows chronic duodenitis with mild eosinophilia and mild intraepithelial lymphocytosis. The reports are uploaded for your reference. The doctor prescribed Esomeprazole (1000 mg) once daily for 30 days, Rifaximin 400 mg three times daily for 3 days and Polyethylene glycol 3350 for two months. Is there any critical health issue with my child? We have an interpretation that biopsy related to cancer. Please clarify. We are so much worried about our child's health.

Do you have a question on Lymphadenopathy or Viral Infection?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

MD PEDIATRICS PGIMER, CHANDIGARH., MBBS DR. S.N.M.C JODHPUR., PDCC PEDIATRIC HEPATOLOGY
Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics

• You should not worry. There is no evidence of cancer in the given scenario as such (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Lymph nodes in the abdomen are normal structure. The lymph nodes enlarge in the presence of infection and malignancy. Here, LN is not so enlarged.
  • LN enlargement occurs in case of tuberculosis as well as viral infections, but there is no fever and bowel loops are normal. So, TB is also unlikely.
  • The concern is about her height. She is of short stature with obesity. In this case, we need to rule out celiac disease. The biopsy is also suggestive of the same.
  • I would advise her to get tTG antibody (tissue transglutaminase) and IgA (immunoglobulin A) to rule out celiac disease. It is a must to do.
  • Continue the same medication and review with the reports. Then, we will plan for a diet. Diet is the only treatment of this condition.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Would viral infection affect the lymphocyte and neutrophil values?
Query: Hi doctor, I had a viral infection last week. Is it normal to have increased lymphocyte levels of 52 % and decreased neutrophil levels of 35 % after having a viral infection? It got healed within a week. I was fine when I did my blood test. My RBC and WBC are considered to be normal. As I have anemi...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. After having a viral infection, lymphocytosis can persist for seven to ten days. Your low neutrophils are relative, and it is because of increased lymphocytes. Platelet can be high because of inflammation or by iron deficiency anemia as a reactive thrombocytosis. Urinar...  Read Full »

My TTG IgA is high. Do I have celiac disease?
Query: Hello doctor, My tissue transglutaminase IgA are high but I have not done any biopsy but done only an endoscopy (normal). If my TTG IgA is high then I must be having celiac disease because this level only goes high with celiac disease, am I right? Then why do I need to go for biopsy as it is a pain...  Read Full »
Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is useful for comparison of severity of bowel involvement in raised antibody status. Raised IgA TTG level grade according to Marsh classification if your antibody level less on Marsh stage you may need a biopsy. If the patient is suffering from hypoglobulinemia ...  Read Full »

Preventing Constipation Naturally
Article Overview: Constipation is often caused owing to a faulty diet, irregular lifestyle and also mental stress that is best avoided or prevented naturally.  Read Article »
Dr. Pritam Mohapatra
General Medicine Physician

Follow these steps and stay away from constipation: Eat a simple and natural plant based diet consisting mostly of whole grain cereals, leafy greens and fresh fruits/ dry fruits including mango, grapes, papaya, tomato, cucumber, pears, guava, gooseberry, fig, apple, raisins, etc. At the same time ...  Read Article »

Ask a Doctor Now