Q. I have neuropathy with swelling. Please help.

Dr. Aida Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

I am a 65-year-old male. I was told I have neuropathy a little over a year ago. And I weigh around 230 pounds.

#

I reviewed your uploaded image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and would explain that it seems that you are suffering from lymphoedema (which means poor drainage of the lymph in the venous system).

The neuropathy is not the cause of swelling, but it is a consequence as during swelling the nerves get trapped inside the muscles and tissues. So, neuropathy is caused by the swelling.

Coming to this point, I would recommend taking low dose Furosemide (diuretic) 40 mg daily to help reduce the swelling and wearing compression socks, for the same purpose.

Regarding the burning sensation, Gabapentine or Pregabaline can help reduce the pain. It is also important for treating skin infection. You should know that these skin changes (also called cellulitis) are quite normal during lymphedema and they should be treated with antibiotic ointments time after time.

It is important to massage to help reduce the swelling and improve the blood circulation in the skin. Unfortunately, all these treatment options do not do miracles, but they can help improve your situation gradually and reduce the swelling and skin changes.

Regular physical exercise is also necessary in order to reduce the swelling and keep the muscles and the nerves in good condition.

Lymphedema.

Lymphedema.

|