Q. What is causing pain in left abdomen?

Published on Mar 11, 2019

I am 35 years old, female. I went to the emergency room a few days back. The CT scan was done to check my ovary and when I look at my blood work for the past few years, I was wondering if there was any relation between some of the rising levels especially if anything is not functioning apparently. I keep getting dismissed as if there is nothing wrong. I am pushing for MRCP, but I keep losing weight and most of the pain is on my left side even though my dysfunctional gallbladder is in the right side but I know this pain is on the left side. Would you be suspicious of cancer, based on these results?

Hematology Pathology
#

Your attached reports are not suggesting any specific cancer (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The left-sided abdominal pain could be due to gastritis or diverticulitis. For that, fiber diet can be taken more and antacid like Rabeprazole can be prescribed. Avoid the intake of excess spicy foods. If you are taking excess stress, then weight loss can be due to anxiety. So rule out anxiety problem as well. Your urine report shows the presence of blood in the urine. So, urine routine microscopic examination should be done to rule out urinary tract infection. PT, APTT, BT like primary coagulation study also can be done.

As your spleen is mildly enlarged, I recommend you to consult nearby MD internal medicine specialist for your detailed evaluation. As far as the attached report is concerned, it does not suggest any specific cancer.

I have a gall bladder that does. It is empty. This was shown via HIDA scan. Could that cause the spleen enlargement if there is gallbladder disease? And my lactic acid was 1.9. Would this also be because of gallbladder issue? I have diverticulosis and chronic gastritis, but would this cause bilateral flank pain?

Hematology Pathology
#

The contracted gall bladder was also mentioned in your CT scan report. But that does not lead to an enlarged spleen. Apart from malignancy many other non-neoplastic conditions as well can lead to spleen enlargement like chronic infections, malaria, autoimmune disease like lupus, hemolytic anemia. If no specific cause is found, then it can be considered idiopathic without any reason. But HB estimation, peripheral smear examination report, ANA, etc., like investigations, can be done as per requirement.

Your lactic acid level is within the limit and so do not worry about that. The elevated CA 27.29 points towards breast cancer but it is not the rule. Its elevation cannot be solely considered as the diagnosis of some form of cancer. If you have cancer then CT scan would show any growth or mass. But CT scan report is normal.

Your doctor will do your breast examination to rule out any mass or lump if present. The bilateral flank pain points towards some kidney disease. For that, I already mentioned investigating with urine routine microscopic examination and culture report. Serum urea, creatinine estimation also should be done. If they all are within limit then gastritis and diverticulosis can be the reason.

Would fundoplication help gastritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been struggling with pressure under my ribs and tightness in my chest for 5 years. It is on and off, but mostly it gives me a hard time to come through. I feel hard to belch often. I have taken Esomeprazole and Nexium to keep the reflux down, but the tightness and other awful ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have carefully worked through your health query and can well understand your issues. Yes, it seems to be due to GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), simply the acid reflux. It has caused damage to the esophagus and other parts of the body too. Hiatal hernia...  Read Full

I experience very severe pain. Is it due to diverticulitis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been prescribed Mirtazapine 15 mg for reducing my depression associated with my condition. In most of my adult life, I suffered from IBS symptoms. I rarely drink alcohol. I eat fish and seafood. But no other meat is taken in my diet now. In the past five years, my problems have ma...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). They are related to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) Mixed type. IBS is of three types:1. Diarrhea-predominant.2. Constipation-predominant.3. Mixed variety. IBS is treated as follows: ...  Read Full

Having abdominal pain and bloated feeling for five months. Could this be due to colon cancer?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had abdominal pain for five months. It is mainly under the right side ribs along the right flank. I also have some pain on the left. I feel gassy and bloated. The stomach makes some crazy noises. I was constipated for a few months, but now I have constant diarrhea. I am going to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ramesh Kumar S

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per your question, most likely it is not colon cancer. The problems are due to disturbed gastrointestinal flora. Our gut consists of its own environment of a microorganism called gut flora. They are responsible for proper digestion of food. Once this flora is depleted...  Read Full

Ask a Hematologist Now