Q. How do I fade the acne marks without laser treatment?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
Published on Mar 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 26, 2019

I have used Benzoyl peroxide gel for my acne and it has almost cleared. But, the acne left some red marks and blemishes on my cheek. I wanted to fade that redness on my skin. In the past, I used Epiduo gel. Please suggest me a product and guide me to remove that redness without laser treatment. Thank you.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Community Medicine Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Preventive Medicine Venereology
#

There is redness and some pus filled acne too (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

1. Use cleanser like Cetaphil to wash face.
  2. Apply either Retin-A gel (Tretinoin) or Benzoyl peroxide gel in night and Clindamycin gel in the morning.
  3. Use sunscreen like Shade lotion in day.
  4. Treat dandruff if any with Ketoconazole shampoo like Scalpe or Nizoral lotion.
  5. You may take oral antibiotics like Azithromycin after consulting your doctor.
  6. For deeper scars you can consult your dermatologist and go for laser, dermabrasion, etc.

Can chemical peels be used for post pimple redness? If so, can you suggest me chemical peels? Also suggest me a product to control oiliness on my face.

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

#

Retin-A cream has a peeling action too. There are other peeling agents like Glycolic acid peels, but it is better to use under guidance of dermatologist. Cleanser can be used two to three times in a day. Using cleanser and Retin-A regularly does reduce your oiliness too.

Top 10 Questions on Acne

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris or what is commonly known as pimples starts in teens. It leads to the lowering of self-esteem, decreased work capacity and some form of permanent scarring. There is a huge misinformation among parents and patients about the disease, thus leaving them perplexed as to how to deal with it. In this article, I have gathered the top 10 questions on acne to help both parents as well as patients to guide them to make informed choices on the issue. These, however, are general guidelines and patients are advised to consult a qualified dermatologist for treatment. Read Article

Dr. Abdul Samieh Deva

What Is Acne? Acne is a disorder of pilosebaceous unit found in the skin. Sebaceous gland is often associated with a hair follicle and is known as a pilosebaceous unit. The most important lesion in acne is a comedone. Besides, papules, pustules, and nodules are also found. In common terms, these ar...  Read Article

What Is Acne Vulgaris?

Article Overview: Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Read Article

Dr. Rabia

Acne vulgaris is a common condition that usually starts in teenage years when sebaceous glands become active. However, acne can also occur in childhood and even in infancy, but it is rare. Some individuals have an inherent tendency of having hyperactive sebaceous glands, this is one of the risk fact...  Read Article