Q. How do I control dandruff and hair fall?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Feb 14, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am having problem with dandruff. My scalp is oily. I am losing hair and I feel that I will become bald. I used Candid-TV, but it did not help. Please advice.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

For severe dandruff, you should take oral medicines apart from topical treatment.

Consider taking tablet Ketoconazole 200 mg once daily for two weeks and apply Candid B lotion (Clotrimazole) on the affected scalp twice daily.

As far as shampoo is concerned, use shampoo containing Ketoconazole every alternate day to start with and then taper slowly as you feel improvement.

Shampoo has to be used for a long time as dandruff and hairfall is a chronic disease. Avoid oiling your scalp.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Related Video

Does hair fall stop immediately with the use of Proscar?

Query: Hi doctor,I have been on Rogaine for 6 years and now on Proscar for 10 days. I had used it before, but went off. I cannot tell if I am still losing hair or not. Does hair loss stop immediately once Proscar is used?  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Both, Minoxidil and Finasteride takes time to act and in some cases it will take two to three months. Both are FDA - Food and Drug Administration approved for androgenic alopecia. You should always remember that if it is used once, then you need to take it for a lifetime...  Read Full

Please suggest a treatment for dandruff.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from dandruff for more than a year. I am a prefinal year student and my gender is female. Please suggest a solution for dandruff. Can I use One shot dandruff killer?  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dandruff is formed due to oily scalp. If you are using oil for hair, please avoid it. Dandruff cannot be cured permanently. It can only be controlled. For now, use Ketoconazole shampoo (Nizral shampoo twice weekly for three weeks and thereafter once it is controlled, us...  Read Full

Please suggest medicine for inner thigh infection.

Query: Hi doctor, Due to excess sweat, I have some infection in my inner thighs. It seems like a layer of skin is out of my testes. It is paining a lot. What shall I use for relief?  Read Full >>

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It could be due to fungal infection. Plain antifungal cream is to be used twice daily. For example, you can use Candid cream (Clotrimazole) twice daily. Proper oral and topical medicine for one or two months is necessary to cure your fungal infection. Remember to wear...  Read Full