Q. My wife had medical abortion last week. When can we try for our next baby?

Dr. Divakara P

My wife is 25 years old. She was pregnant for 3 months. Last week, we lost the kid due to some troubles got aborted. D and C was not done but the fetus got out normally after medical treatment. My question is within what time we can engage in sex again? What all care should be given to her, I mean any medicines to increase her strength? When we can try for the next baby?

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

Very sorry to hear about the loss. You can start trying for a baby after one month as the uterus and hormones take that much time to come back to the proper state. But if it is only sex then two weeks is fine. There is no special care or medicines required for her. Just give her good nutritious food like fruits and vegetables that is enough.

If her hemoglobin is less then iron supplementation (tablet Orofer) for a month or two is needed. But if her hemoglobin is normal nothing is needed. If her hemoglobin is not tested after abortion get it tested.

| 

But my wife is very tired and sometimes stomach pain appears. Is it because of gas or should any special treatment be taken?

Dr. Divakara P

#

Tiredness could be due to many reasons such as low hemoglobin, vitamin deficiency, inadequate food intake and because of the abortion itself. I advise you to get her hemoglobin checked and if it is low she needs to be given iron tablets or injections.

Stomach pain could be due to indigestion or it could be due to infection of the abdomen or it could be due to incomplete abortion. Among these, incomplete abortion is a serious issue. Hence, it would be better if you can get an ultrasound abdomen pelvis for her.

| 

Hemoglobin, RBC, and WBC are going down rapidly. What can be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband's hemoglobin is 3.7 g/dL, but the hemoglobin level was 5 g/dL when we checked it two days back. His RBC and WBC are also going down. What can be the reason?  Read Full »

High Hemoglobin Levels: Is It Dangerous?

Article Overview: High hemoglobin levels or polycythemia can be due to smoking, dehydration, or heart problems. This article describes the types and treatment options for polycythemia. Read Article

Dr. Kks
Hematologist

When Is the Hemoglobin Level Considered to Be High? According to the conventional definition, it is considered as high hemoglobin when levels are more than 18.5 g/dL for men and 16.5 g/dL for women. High hemoglobin levels are associated with high hematocrit (also called as PCV) levels which are def...  Read Article

How do I use the MTP Kit? Is it effective?

Query: Hello doctor, The period cycle of my fiancee falls on the 1st of every month. We had sex on the 13th and the 14th. She missed her periods this time and had a pregnancy test, which came back positive. She took a single tablet of Mifepristone at 2 p.m. The medical person asked her to take the first ...  Read Full »