Q. My wife had medical abortion last week. When can we try for our next baby?

Dr. Divakara P

My wife is 25 years old. She was pregnant for 3 months. Last week, we lost the kid due to some troubles got aborted. D and C was not done but the fetus got out normally after medical treatment. My question is within what time we can engage in sex again? What all care should be given to her, I mean any medicines to increase her strength? When we can try for the next baby?

#

Very sorry to hear about the loss. You can start trying for a baby after one month as the uterus and hormones take that much time to come back to the proper state. But if it is only sex then two weeks is fine. There is no special care or medicines required for her. Just give her good nutritious food like fruits and vegetables that is enough.

If her hemoglobin is less then iron supplementation (tablet Orofer) for a month or two is needed. But if her hemoglobin is normal nothing is needed. If her hemoglobin is not tested after abortion get it tested.

But my wife is very tired and sometimes stomach pain appears. Is it because of gas or should any special treatment be taken?

#

Tiredness could be due to many reasons such as low hemoglobin, vitamin deficiency, inadequate food intake and because of the abortion itself. I advise you to get her hemoglobin checked and if it is low she needs to be given iron tablets or injections.

Stomach pain could be due to indigestion or it could be due to infection of the abdomen or it could be due to incomplete abortion. Among these, incomplete abortion is a serious issue. Hence, it would be better if you can get an ultrasound abdomen pelvis for her.

|